It ain't easy being green! (1st ride report)

sether

Aug 24, 2004
Got the KDX greased. Put in 10 weight oil in the forks (1oz over stock). Added skid plate, front disk guard, Renthal CR-Hi bends, Works Connection radiator braces. I was good to go.

And go I did. Trucked the shiny green machine to Camp 'B' at Cal-City (Mojave Desert) and unloaded in beautiful spring like conditions. High 70's and ground still damp from the weeks of rain we've gotten. Can you say "max traction". One kick start, off we go. I took single track desert trails up to the ghost town of Randsburg, loamy, sand washes, hard-pack and whoops. A real nice mix. The bike felt so good after riding a Suzuki DRZ-400 for the last 3 years. I felt like a kid again. Slid, skid, effortlessly lift the front wheel over obstacles. Just dream like compared to the over weight DRZ. I didn't know what kind of mileage to expect and returned to the truck with a measured 21 miles on the GPS. I topped of with about 3/4 of a gallon. I estimate a 65 to 75 mile range. Kewl. Spent the rest of the day getting used to the bike, doing small hill climbs, taking trails to 4000 feet and enjoying the panoramic desert views. A great day. My last run for the day was the best. I followed a sand wash trail (R43) through the mountains and ended up on the far side looking towards Jawbone. A pack of about ten riders were getting ready to head up the way I just came from (up and over to the Cal-City side). It was a sea of blue bikes with a couple of red, no green. They gave the little KDX some puzzled glances and no respect at all. The leader jammed and the pack followed. I sat there and wondered if I could hang with the WR-450's, CRF-450's and XR's. They got a 45 second head start and I shot off after them. I railed the KDX up the twisty canyon sand wash and caught the last rider. As we hit the top of the canyon I was behind the trailing group of three riders. A WR250, XR600, and a XR650R. I dogged them for 3 miles or so an blasted by with a well timed pass. The 7 or so lead bikes were packed up together on one trail kicking up dust so I shot down a smaller trail to their left. After few minutes flying down that trail I crested a small hill where one rider on a WR-450 had stopped. I pulled up next him and cut off the motor. I asked him if he had lost his group. He looked at me kind of funny and before he could say anything the pack pulled up behind us. I had pasted them all and caught the lead rider! I was so jazzed, the KDX kicked some a$$. Then the same guys that had just given the KDX strange looks minutes before showed some interest and asked me questions about it. They couldn't believe it was stock.

I love my KDX.

:nod:

Last edited:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I have often thought of venturing to Cal City since Gorman and Rower Flats are temporarily closed. You descriptors of the terrain and available trails has really peaked my interest. Oh, congrats on your exhibition of having shown the bikes good graces against theoretically faster machines. Another example of that it is often the rider not the machine. I am sure the monthly magazines wouldn't want such a story to be made known: An outdated trail bike out running thumpers of the high priced spread variety

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Cool story! Makes me wish that I lived in CA. as I have a severe case of cabin fever and can't wait to start riding again.

Top Bottom