Jawbone Canyon Ride Report 4/08/01

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Sunday morning dawned cool and fine as we left Jerrys after breakfast.

We would have a big group today - 10 people riding a variety of bikes 2 DRZ400s, 2 WR400, 4 CR500, an XR400 and a YZ250.

Setting off at about 10am we headed off on fast 2 track trails till we were back in the hills and then we took single track heading up towards the windmills and the fresh dump of snow. Recent rain had left the So Cal desert in perfect condition with no dust and dark, traction filled dirt. We freight trained through the manzanita bushes and between the cactus till we reached the snow line. We dropped off our tight trail and headed up the road which was covered in snow to about one foot depth. Basic riding in these conditions consists of flat tracking paradise and roosting your buddies. Once up in the snow we ascertained that the snow was not too deep and headed off on a single track through the trees up to the windmills. This trail winds through the trees and round the side of the mountains. I was trail blazing and not having too much trouble except for getting covered in snow from the trees and bushes I bumped in to.

Lunch break was just below the windmills in a little field. I am still stunned that anyone would bring a whole quiche and a beer so far out on the trail without smashing them flat.

After a good break we headed off again on some roads that represent the best of So Cal winter riding. Velcro traction. If you have ridden it you what I mean. Smoking in to a turn revving hard in 4th gear, I chop the throttle and counter steer to step the back out and then, modulating the throttle to carve the turn, I watch as a my front tire forms a small berm and then lifts as the back hooks up and I hook 5th gear. I hear the WR behind me and know he is using my roost marks to allow him to throttle on earlier than I did so I try not to back off and hold him off till we get to the top. Everyone arrives with face splitting grins and we shoot the bull for a bit before catching another single track which drops us down in to a little canyon filled with steps and brush. We fight through that until it opens up and we start to conga line again. The WR passes me when the trail splits but I make an immediate turn (HEY! I'm the trail boss!) and he's is behind me again till we get to the bottom of Cross Mountain where we take another break.

Cross proves to be a testing ground with many people taking several tries to top the hill. Bob on the YZ decides to take the long way home and is joined by Chris, his guide and one of the DRZs who has a front flat.

We head down the shale slide on the back side of Cross and head back to camp.

This is the only low part of the ride for me as I am zinging along in 4th gear and hook 5th just as a large rock decides to jump in front of me. One second I'm riding and then, totally without warning, I'm crashing. Man, that was a surprise! I didn't see the rock at all and went down so fast I was pretty relaxed. Winded and wondering I was reassured that YES my buddies had a grandstand view of the whole crash and could share in the pleasure as I was wheezing and groaning on the ground. Fortunately the bruised chest and couple of other little boo boos were not serious and I was able to ride on without a problem.

Back at camp we waited for our 3 stragglers to arrive while we had a cold one and recounted the day's highlights. Total trail miles was 48 and we were out for 6.5 hours.

All told this was one of the best rides I have had all year (HA, probably doesn't mean much to you snow bound riders but we ride ALL year here!)

As I write this I am starting to feel the delicious hurt that comes with a good beating experienced on the trail. As my buddy Endoquest says "Life is good!".

Kiwi

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kiwi Bird (of Paradise) (edited 04-09-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Me neither. Jeff -- how about a nice bingo game next Saturday when the riding conditions are perfect?

------------------

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Sometimes I really miss the So Cal dez. I'm jealous.

------------------
President,ETRA.
'01 KTM520E,
'99 KTM200E,
'93 CR500R
enee,menee,minee,mo

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Great report Kiwi!

How does one not smash their trail lunch?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.timekeepersmc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.timekeepersmc.com
</A> 97 CR 250
I like 4 strokes...got one in my truck.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Farmer John - darned if those guys didn't have sandwiches, beers and all sorts of stuff hidden in their gear. Me, I'm happy with a Powerbar or Cliff bar. Don't need no garlic bread deli sandwich to get me through the day, no sir!

------------------

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey Kiwi, wasn't there someone with a backpack on one of our long rides ages ago that carried a six-pack for us without knowing it? After riding for hours with a heavy pack we stopped and said "Hey you, get me a beer". Of course the victim said, "Yeah, right! Anyone stupid enough to carry beer all day doesn't deserve it". Then we reach in his backpack and commence to guzzlin'. Of course we didn't give any to him since he "didn't deserve it".Good write up, amigo. Good luck in TX

------------------
President,ETRA.
'01 KTM520E,
'99 KTM200E,
'93 CR500R
enee,menee,minee,mo

Top Bottom