jet needle circlip and AS questions

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Ladies and gentlemen,

Two questions:

Is the jet needle circlip supposed to be flat? I just lowered my needle (raised the clip) and noticed that the circlip is not perfectly flat...its got a slight curvature to it.

Second question. When turning the air screw, which way, in or out, leans the air/gas mixture?

I know the AS question has been addressed ad nauseum in other threads but I have not had good luck using the search function to find it.

Thanks for you help,
Chuck

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
AS question: Out leans the mixture by allowing MORE air through the carb.

Needle clip: I think they are supposed to be flat. I pulled mine lastnight for another reason and it was perfectly flat. But, how does it fit in the groove? Is it a tight fit (clicks into place when you change clip position or can it be pushed out easily with your finger)? If it's loose, you'll have to replace it. If it's a tight fit and doesn't allow the needle to fall out of the bottom of the slide I wouldn't worry too much about it. But, if it does fall out -- you run the risk of it locking the throttle open while you are riding and we all know this is a BAD thing! So, follow this advice at your own risk -- you might want to replace it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sir (assumed):
It is supposed to be flat. Probably not a big issue. As long as the needle is not binding when the retainer is screwed in, you should be ok. The needle should be pretty sloppy (wiggle) in the slide. Yeah...it will effect your jetting some. Not enough to lose sleep over.

You can put clips on a flat surface and tap them with a hammer, or use a smooth jawed vise to straighten them out. Or buy another one.

BTW..last I checked, the kawi price was about $4 each. A one each SAE/USS clip from your local hardware store will be too thick to fit properly. At least I've not found one to fit without filing it some.

It's fun filing one of them on the flat. Them being so big and all......

re: AS

It being an AIR screw (upstream, usually), it indeeds adjusts air. Out is more air (leaner), in is less air (richer).

Screws that are downstream (cylinder side of the carb) are usually..not always..FUEL screws. They are opposite. In is less fuel (leaner), out is more fuel (richer).

**edit**
re: if it's loose.

You can give it a squeeze with a pair of pliers if you want more tension.

It does fit in a recessed spot on the slide. Once it's on the needle and the needle nut is installed, it's not going anywhere.

Cheers!

Last edited:

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Thanks for the information guys.

I had assumed on the air screw, out=more air= leaner mixture and visa versa. I just wanted to be sure because we all know what happens when we "assume"!

Circlip. I was suprised at how small that thing was. I was actually expecting a more substantial piece of metal.

CC - Man! 4 bucks for that teeny thing! I imagine they can manufacture hundreds of those things for 4 bucks. It can't cost more than a fraction of a cent to make ONE! I'm definitely in the wrong business. Maybe I can steer my kids into the circlip manufacturing, marketing, and selling business? I was hoping they would go into engineering but obviuosly that is not as lucrative as the circlip business. But, I digress.

Boomer - it fits fairly snug. I was able to take it out and put it back on without much effort using only my hands. It definitely clicked/snapped on and off though. I guess I'll pick a new one up from the Kawi shop and have it on hand for the next time I'm in the carb.

Thanks again.

Ciao,
Chuck

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You should see the price of the needle! The kawi dealer quoted me a price today for a leaner needle -- $28!!! I called MXSouth and they can get it for me for $20. That's $25-$32 worth of stuff you're messing with there! Better be careful!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by jboomer
You should see the price of the needle! The kawi dealer quoted me a price today for a leaner needle -- $28!!! I called MXSouth and they can get it for me for $20. That's $25-$32 worth of stuff you're messing with there! Better be careful!

Or you can call sudco and get them for $5.00 each!!!
1-800-998-3529 and they might have the clips too. I just ordered some main jets for my bikes last night. 3 mainjets plus shipping probably cost me less than $20.00

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Supposedly Kawi has done something "weird" with their carbs, so the aftermarket needles don't work quite right. (This coming from the guy at MXSouth --- they usually order all of their jets and carb parts from Sudco --- he said that even Sudco recommends that parts for Kawi's should be bought from the factory.) Trust me, that's the first place I looked! I even asked in another post if any Kawi riders have tried jets and/or needles from Sudco in their bikes or heard about this problem. But, no answers, so I assume no one's tried them or everyone's bought factory parts for theirs, so.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I don't know about the '01 KX250, but $5 Keihin needles from SUDCO work just fine in on the PWK carbs that come on a KDX.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Re:
Kawi has done something "weird" with their carbs

If 'weird applies to things like an 'L' L1 not being directly translateable to a keihin needle.

Big deal.

If you approach jetting from the point of view, 'I use kawi parts because they are specifically designed to meet the 'weird' technical requirements of the kdx,' then you also will want to retain your stock suspension. After all, the kawi engineers must have made the bike so unbalanced from front to back for SOME reason!!

Hogwash.

I don't recall a post regarding sudco parts and kawi carbs. Of course, it's not SUDCO that makes them. They are KEIHIN parts for KEIHIN carbs. How weird can they be?

Actually, I'd prefer something other than brass for a needle. All other things being equal (selection and cost), I'd buy a kawi needle over a keihin needle.

But...there is virtually NO kawi needle selection and the cost is ridiculous.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom