Dumb Jetting Question

I pulled this straight from the Canadian Dave page:

1995-2001 KDX200

Stock -Run the stock R1174K jet needle in the second from the top clip position, 45 pilot jet, 155 main jet and fine-tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

With a performance pipe/expansion chamber, the air box lid removed and the stock or a performance silencer run a 42/45 pilot, R1174K jet needle in the mid clip position, a 152/155 main jet fine tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

The above seems to imply that with a pipe and airbox mod, I should consider smaller jets (ie with mods maybe use a 42 pilot instead of a 45 and a 152 main instead of a 155).

Question:

Why would I want smaller sized jets with a performance pipe and opened up airbox? It would seem to me (apparently incorrectly) that a performance pipe and modded airbox would result in more air flow, such that I would actually want MORE gas to maintain the same air/fuel ratio. To get more gas, don't I actually want jets with higher (not lower) numbers?

Put another way, would not modding the airbox and putting on a pipe, all else equal, tend to make the bike run less rich than it would otherwise?

Thanks, and sorry if this is dumb.

Brent

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Considering for most conditions, bikes ship from the factory way too rich, you will would need to lean it out a bit.

bmcd308 said:
I pulled this straight from the Canadian Dave page:

1995-2001 KDX200

Stock -Run the stock R1174K jet needle in the second from the top clip position, 45 pilot jet, 155 main jet and fine-tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

With a performance pipe/expansion chamber, the air box lid removed and the stock or a performance silencer run a 42/45 pilot, R1174K jet needle in the mid clip position, a 152/155 main jet fine tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

The above seems to imply that with a pipe and airbox mod, I should consider smaller jets (ie with mods maybe use a 42 pilot instead of a 45 and a 152 main instead of a 155).

Question:

Why would I want smaller sized jets with a performance pipe and opened up airbox? It would seem to me (apparently incorrectly) that a performance pipe and modded airbox would result in more air flow, such that I would actually want MORE gas to maintain the same air/fuel ratio. To get more gas, don't I actually want jets with higher (not lower) numbers?

Put another way, would not modding the airbox and putting on a pipe, all else equal, tend to make the bike run less rich than it would otherwise?

Thanks, and sorry if this is dumb.

Brent
Not a dumb question at all, your logic is spot on except if you will notice the lowered clip position has a tendency to make the recommendation more acceptable.