Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Wholly smokes! Jetting your carb is no cheap ordeal. I ordered five jets and a new needle to try and it cost me $75 Can. And the bummer part is that I will only use a single combination of these when I'm done!

I wish shops around here would carry an entire kit an lend them out to their good customers until they get things dialed-in, then charge the customer for what they ended up using, or have them order the ones they figure they need afterwards and keep the original kit complete.

Sorry for the venting but I tried out a combination on my '90 last night and I'm still way too lean.

Does anyone know where to go for cheaper jets? Or a fair priced kit? I'm far from done with my tuning here!

Thanks,

Marsh.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
jets

i dont know about the needle cost but i pay my main jets 3$ canadian each at my two lacal shop.i assume anyone should pay this price.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Wow,

A lot of the jets in Ontario come from winners circle in Markham. I bought a box load and if I remember not more that $4 a jet, maybe less.
If you can't find someone that is reasonable just post what you need and and Ill cost it for you, they are just down the road from me.

Mark Levert

boyo

May 12, 2003
For your information: Here in Hungary ( east Europe ) the price of a main jet is 8,00 US Dollars....

Last year I rebuilt my top end, I ordered everythink from the states (wieseco piston, hot rod crank, gaskets....). Price + transport: 60 % of the hungarian prices.

All the best,
Boyo

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Levert, I am working with my local dealer right now. They may have some mains in stock that he'd be willing to lend me until I have this thing dialed in better. Also they may be willing to buy back the jets I won't use for their shop. [I called them this morning to disscuss ways to improve their customer satisfaction :p ........He's a good guy though and understands how I'm feeling]

I am having problems with this bike because it has ben ported quite a bit and I'm not sure where I'll end up. When it's all said and done the porting may be a good thing but getting to that point has proved to be a bit of a puzzle so far.

But hey, it's Friday and I'm gonna play all weekend. :yeehaw:

I'll keep you's posted and let you know what I learned.

Thanks again :thumb:

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
back to the beginning

I spoke to an old friend who rebuilds bikes for a living and mentioned a possible air leak. I searched/surfed this forum and the internet in general and I am wondering if there could be an air leak on my bike.

I pulled the original plug out and noticed the top electrodes looking very lean, porcelain is clean white.(B8ES)The main was 150, pilot 48, needle 1172 in the 2nd from bottom clip position.

I put a 155 main, 1173 needle in the mid clip position and just rode around a while with a fresh plug. After she was warmed up I ripped through the gears to about fourth and snorted around down low then checked the plug. By the way, the performance was leaps-and-bounds better than before but still not right.

Anyway, the plug showed pretty much the same result.

I question the air leak theory and need to check the left side in the mag. case and rubber joints in the air system. Can you safely check thses spots with an unlit propane torch while the bike is running? I figure if there is a leak she'd suck the propane fuel in and rev, or something? Maybe thisis asking for trouble.
It will not idle. I need to turn the idle screw quite high for it run without throttle attention.

THis bike has been ported extensively. This would need more fuel via bigger jetting yes?

Could this bike have an air leak?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
psimxcarb looks like if you made a mistake and cranked the adjuster the wrong direction you could seize the motor. Also, anyone monkeying with your bike could cause you the same results.
Marsh: If you put the choke on part way, wouldn't that add extra fuel and tell you if you have an air leak? So, if the bike runs better with the choke part on, you are either too lean still or have an air leak, just my guess.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
You can spray some type of accelerant around the carb/airboot while the bike is running, if the rpms change then it's a sure sign of an airleak. I guess propane would work fine, WD-40/Starter fluid/or something along those lines seems much safer!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I've found that Thumpertalk has a good prices on Keihin jets...

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
I'm amazed at prices of bikes and accessories in the U.S.A. here in South Africa you pay $12-00 for a pilot jet and $9-00 for a main jet! I just bought a 2004 kdx 200 and paid $5400-00. The good things in life cost :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom