Jetting for an FMF rev pipe on 220

everslick

May 10, 2002
I have a stock 02 kdx 220 on which I recently installed an FMF rev pipe. According to the FMF website I should go to a leaner main and pilot jet, and move the needle to 2nd clip position (also leaner). After installing the pipe I left the jetting stock and the bike runs really well. Also, the plug stays a light tan color (just as it should).

I ride in Kentucky (approx. 700 ft. above sea level), it's been about 60 to 70 degrees, and the bike has no other mods.

What jetting changes are you guys making when going to an aftermarket pipe?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jetting changes are made according to tests done on a particular bike..including plug color (WOT plug chop tests) and good old 'seat-of-the-pants' input.

Changes suggested by someone else are only going to be ballpark. The person needing to refine the process is the rider.

Keep in mind that changes indicated by a particular vendor are assuming the bike to have been jetted correctly in the FIRST place. The kdx is so rich out-of-the-box that most ANYthing done to it will 'require' it to be jetted leaner.

I don't see you mention of CDave's site. Check it out@:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Dave lists jetting for the common mods, also charts to adjust for altitude and lots of other good stuff.

Check it out ;)

Taking the time to jet your bike correctly (and thus learning how to do it for different conditions) will be key to getting your kdx to run better than you ever thought it could!!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
FMF's web site lists the 200's jetting for both the 200 and 220. They are very different given the 220 uses a 33mm carb and the 200 a 35mm carb. Like CC said have a look at the carb tuning guide for a starting point and fine tune the jetting to your needs from there. Your bike wouldn't run for more than a couple minutes before fouling a plug using the jetting FMF supplied on their site.

David

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
We have the same bike, if anything move the needle up to the 2nd clip.
I have the gharly pipe though. If I remember right FMFs specs were way to rich..

Top Bottom