jetting ? kdx220-- I've read other posts still need help

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
2002 KDX220, new top end, new reeds, desert(rev) pipe, clean carb., clean filter, kips valve clean and not sticking.

First, I can't do plug chop for main jet---not enough space to get up up speed and top gears for testing--but top end pull power appears good.

Second, I used "Spanky's guide" to test pilot and jet needle size.

Results showed: that I had to put the needle clip on the top of the needle and the air screw is turned all the way out (about 2 1/2 turns).

The bike is boowah down low and creates spooge and smoke.
Temperature 50---------elevation 800 above -----

Stock jets in bike now pilot 42 main 145 ---FMF pipe jetting reccomdations say this is where it should be.
Should I buy a set of pilot jets, or just two (40,38) and test from here? And/Or do I buy a new needle?

And will the replacement of the pilot jets from 42 to 40 or 38 effect the main jet pilot size? Who should I buy jets from?

Thanks

VARider

Nov 15, 2002
Jetting followup

I see it's been a LOONNGG time since you posted this question. But, I'm about to follow your exact footsteps. I'm replacing my piston, cleaned the KIPS, new reed valves etc. - and - - I'm thinking about an FMF pipe.

Was the FMF pipe worth the jetting hassle?

What jets did you finally go with?

VARider

Nov 15, 2002
I was reading your "join date" not your post date. It's been years since I've been on this board and I obviously don't read so good. Nevertheless, I'm interested in your experience with the FMF pipe.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…