jetting ? kdx220-- I've read other posts still need help

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
2002 KDX220, new top end, new reeds, desert(rev) pipe, clean carb., clean filter, kips valve clean and not sticking.

First, I can't do plug chop for main jet---not enough space to get up up speed and top gears for testing--but top end pull power appears good.

Second, I used "Spanky's guide" to test pilot and jet needle size.

Results showed: that I had to put the needle clip on the top of the needle and the air screw is turned all the way out (about 2 1/2 turns).

The bike is boowah down low and creates spooge and smoke.
Temperature 50---------elevation 800 above -----

Stock jets in bike now pilot 42 main 145 ---FMF pipe jetting reccomdations say this is where it should be.
Should I buy a set of pilot jets, or just two (40,38) and test from here? And/Or do I buy a new needle?

And will the replacement of the pilot jets from 42 to 40 or 38 effect the main jet pilot size? Who should I buy jets from?

Thanks

VARider

Nov 15, 2002
Jetting followup

I see it's been a LOONNGG time since you posted this question. But, I'm about to follow your exact footsteps. I'm replacing my piston, cleaned the KIPS, new reed valves etc. - and - - I'm thinking about an FMF pipe.

Was the FMF pipe worth the jetting hassle?

What jets did you finally go with?

VARider

Nov 15, 2002
I was reading your "join date" not your post date. It's been years since I've been on this board and I obviously don't read so good. Nevertheless, I'm interested in your experience with the FMF pipe.

Top Bottom