chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I have a '99 KDX200. FMF Torque pipe, Turbine core 2 silencer, air box lid removed, Twin air foam filter, Boyesen reeds (just the reeds, not the cage). This question is for all the guys that ride at Paragon in Hazelton PA. What jetting are you using? I changed mine and I still have excessive smoke and the ugly drip. Stock jetting was -pilot 48- -main jet 160-. The recomendations in the tech section say 42/45 and 152/155. The larger the number the larger the hole right? The needle was normal and I moved it to the center. Does the KDX come that rich? My buddy just got a brand new one and it also smokes and drips like crazy and he only rode it twice. Thanks for the help. See ya at Paragon this Friday.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Chris, Me again, sorry I don't ride a the Paragon, and welcome to the School of Hard Knocks Jetting. You said "The larger the number the larger the hole, right?" That statement is true, but if you are going from stock, both pilot and main jets will be leaner, from the tech pages recommendations anyway. Sorry just my .02.

Last edited:

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
This is my suggestion, since I recently did this on my bike. From the factory, KDX's come jetted pretty rich. I say go ahead and buy new jets & needles. It will really improve the power on your bike and get rid of the excess spooge/smoke. Go ahead and buy the 42/45 and 152/155 jets, as well as the 1172 & 1173 needles. All these parts are fairly cheap, and really easy to install. Start out by installing the 45 & 155 jets, and whatever needle, and go from there. If it runs like you want it to, great... just leave it. If it's still rich in a particular area, replace the jet(s) accordingly. There's a write-up on http://justkdx.dirtrider.net about carb tuning that I highly recommend. It makes sense of the entire subject.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Thanks for the advise. I've read the tech page about a hundred times just to let it sink in. It is very informative. I'll try the jetting one above the stock setting first and go from there.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I ride at Paragon. There is nothing at Paragon that presents a jetting challange.

You said in your first post that you changed your jetting but I don't see what you changed it to.

If you are ordering jets I'd suggest pilots of 40, 42 and 45 and mains of 155, 152 and 150. Yes, the lower the number the leaner the jet.

The stock needle will make your KDX a spooge machine in the mid clip position so ditch the stock needle as well. Order a CEL and CEK and see how they work for you. Start with the CEK, it's a little richer at low throttle settings (1/8 to 1/4) than the CEL.

SUDCO has great prices and service (sudco.com).

Give a shout out next time you are going to Paragon. I can't get enough of that place!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
If you decide to experiment with some different needles, I would suggest adding a 'B' series taper to the list RV6 provided. It's been my experience that the 200 with a -35 pipe (the 'torque' pipe) seems to match up well with a BEM or BEL needle. Conversely, the -30 Rev seems to like the C-series better. The desert pipe wants to hit harder, and it seems the more aggressive taper works in concert with that.

Either way, the K/L/M diameter addresses the off-idle lean condition created by the stock Q diameter needle.

JMHO.

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
I agree with Jayhawk in that the B-taper needles seem to be a better fit with the k-35 pipe. I think that you will find that for the 95+ KDX's with the #5 slides that a K straight section will be a bit to rich especially with the k-35 and Sudco for some reason dosen't carry a BEK needle anyway. I have found that a BEM,CEM is a good place to start with alternate needles with a BEL,CEL being a richer option and a BEN,CEN a leaner option. All of these will need a smaller than stock pilot 38-40 is pretty common but only testing will tell you what you need for your particular KDX. Good luck.--Dan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom