mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
:| I am having noise issues with my 02 cr 250. rebuilt the top end with a wiseco piston and a new cylinder and the bike runs like a beast up top. the problem is that it makes an engine chatter at half throttle (doesn't do it down low or wide open). it usually does this in third gear or higher. it also started making a really loud knocking sound when the throttle is almost closed and i am cruising slowly. i thought it was the jetting but i have since gone up a main jet and messed with the air screw but it still does it . i have a 370 main jet right now, i am at 3000 feet, the the other jets are stock i believe.

it seems the richer i go the more pronounced the knocking is (odd). i am starting to think that the bottom end might be going south. when i rebuilt the top end i checked for play in the rod and there was no up/down play. do i need a new crank and rod set up? are there any tests i can do that down involve an entire engine tear down?

also, when i had a 360 main jet in i had the air screw about half a turn out (almost all the way in) and the bike ran like a beast. is it bad to have your air screw that far in (it seems to run better like that than with the 370 main jet). the noise also seemed to be less pronounced.

i appreciate all the help

also, how the hell can i get better at single track riding in the sand (my bike is all over the place). would a damper make a big difference? :yeehaw:

Top Bottom