KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
On my 98 KX250 I am getting a stumbling/sputtering off idle when I try to crack it. It was running good for once the last few times I had it out after going down to a 40 pilot from the stock 45.
The airscrew seems to have no effect? Don't have any leaner jets right now , have to go order them tomm. Just seems to have started this all at once, weathers been about the same , just a little warmer. Could it be something else?
I've cleaned the carb several times and the pilot circuit is clean.
Tried moving the clip up, new plug, reset the float, new pipe gasket, fresh gas, power valve is working etc...... bottom and topend done less than 20 hours ago.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Whassup Todd! How's it goin man? Finally got those fork guards swapped this week (when I did my topend)!

Hey, have you looked at your reeds? Usually when a corner chips off or they crack, you're going to start running rich, especially down low. Been there done that!

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Wazzup? Flyin yet? :aj:
About time you replaced those!
Actually, yes, yes I did check my reeds too, just replaced the intake boot a couple weeks ago and they were good?

Screw it, I went out and bought a 2003 KX250 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa :yeehaw:
(still need to fix this one though , so I can sell it!)

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
How about if the power valve is working but not returning to position all the way? Would this affect the bottom end?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Flyin yet? I've been flyin since February! I just finished Primary flight training and they've selected me to go fly jets!! So next Monday I move to Meridian, MS. I'm pretty excited!
It seems if the powervalve stuck open, it may effect your bottom end -- basically your exhaust opening stays, well, open. I suppose this could cause a bike to run rich. Why don't you take the cover off your powervalve, start the bike up and rev it up. You should see the powervalve arm move in/out or up/down (however yours is configured). If it's not moving then you could assume it's frozen. You can also take off the headpipe and look inside the cylinder. If the flapper is open then it's stuck. It should be hanging down.

Congrats on the new bike!! How exciting! Where are you riding now? Still going out to the landing? How did the club work out? You'll have to give us a rundown on your new bike! I just bought an '03 Kawa ZX9! It's way too fast, I wish I would have gotten the 600 instead!

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
That's awesome man, I'm glad your leg didn't end up screwing you up for flight school. Jets is what you wanted right! Serious adrenaline huh!

I did take the side cover off and it was moving smoothly when reving so i figured it was good then remembered that the valve doesn't seat all the way when you pull the arm out? I'll have to take the pipe off and look inside.

Haven't been to the Landing since we went, been riding around here, WV, PA, going to Rausch Creek this weekend , that's one reason I decided to go ahead and get the bike now! I saw that you had that bike listed on your profile, be careful with that rocket!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yeah, I wanted jets. I'm pretty excited! This stage will be a year long. I won't find out what I'm flying to this time next year probably. It'll either be the EA-6B Prowler, AV8B Harrier, or F/A-18 Hornet! Hell, I'll take any one of those, ya know?

WV!!?? Man, you're getting out there aren't ya! Hatfield-McCoy? I just saw in the local paper Sunday where the Hatfield and McCoy's signed a letter of agreement to end their century long feud! Seems that feud has resulted in at least 12 deaths amongst their families. Better watch out riding out there! You break a master link and you'll be living the movie "Deliverance"!

Yeah, the bike is WAY TOO FAST! I've hit 140 a couple times and had plenty of throttle left. I keep having to let go because my nuts clinch tight as acorns!! I know, I know, too much info! Anyway, have fun, good luck figureing this bike out, and enjoy the new one! Oh yeah, don't forget to update your info!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom