mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
So, I was having a off idle lag after installing a FMF woods pipe on my 03 200. (air box mod, FMF silencer, 155 main, 45 pilot 1174N bottom clip, AS 2 out)

Today I finally got around to trying a 42 pilot and 1173K (mid clip) AS 1 out. At first I thought "too lean" based on bog, but after the bike got fully warm, it pulled better off idle than it ever has. I could easilly loop it in third, and float the front in 5th. So I'll stay here I think unless.........

you all convince me the 42 is way too lean. (though I don't ride in the cold much) I assume it will effectivelly become "richer" as we head into summer???

If I had a lean bog (via a too small pilot) it wound'nt go away after the bike was hot would it?

Thanks for the help. Greg.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Nope, the lean bog will stay with it. I had a similar experience on my new 220. After reading that it was "way rich" from the factory (and confirmed first-hand by excessive spooge, poor throttle response and a lot of blubber) I proceeded to lean her out. Ended up dropping needle one clip, dropping main too much (like 3 sizes) and the pilot 2 sizes....talk about LEAN. Engine-killing bog off idle, but man it screamed mid to top. CRISP! Final jetting was a 140 (142 should be ideal for me) and a 45 pilot, needle (1173 stocker) in the middle.
MODS: no lid and PCII silencer, stock pipe.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Every bike is different to a greater or lesser degree, but IMO 42 x 155 should be near perfect. If using stock needle you may want needle clip in next to top clip position.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
The needle is a 1173K vs. the stock 1174K. Here's two VERY GENERIC questions.....

Could a pilot be too lean and not bog?

Which circuit (if any one more than another) causes pipe outlet spooge?

Again, the bike feels better than it ever has, so I'm happy and will most likely leave it. I'm just gathering a bit of info to support my findings....

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I just switched from a 45 pilot 1 3/4 a.s. out to a 42 just over 1/2 turn out. I fought a bog until I wound up at just over 1/2 turn out. It totally rips now. You must work with the air screw 1/4 turn at a time and you will be amazed when it is right.

There is no bog in mine regardless of whether it is cold, warm, or hot. To me the air screw adjustment is more critical than the jet size in off idle hit. I could make the 48,45,&42 all work fine as long as the air screw was right. It also seems that the smaller the pilot jet size, the harder it is to find the perfect air screw setting.

Just my two cents worth-
JCW

Top Bottom