fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
here is a silly question but if i jet my bike 2002 kdx 200 too lean will it cause the motor to lock up being lean or hurt any thing... thanks

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
Yes, you can damage/seize the engine by running your bike too lean. If you do a few plug chops you can tell if your bike is running too lean or too rich. Do a search on Plug Chops and that will give you alot of information.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's a concern that you even ask.

Absolutely!!

..as in a very short period of time...seconds.

If you have any reason to believe or fear you are too lean, a WOT plug chop should be approached with caution. Generally, you want to hold the bike WOT in as high a gear as you can get, under load, for a fairly large amount of time. A good 30 seconds, anyway.

That's about a gazillion times as long as it takes to seize a too lean bike.

That said, don't get paranoid about it. As long as your bike is in a decent condition (no leaks around crank seals, reed cages etc), the suggestions you read on this site as far as jetting will generally be safe to test with a WOT plug chop test.

Pay attention. If you hear detonation going on while you're WOT..back off! If you're concerned, run a shorter period of time (maybe 10 seconds) and check your plug. If it shows obvious signs of overheating (blistered insulator, shiny bits of aluminum on the insulator, or the grey-dust kiss of death (vaporized aluminum that used to be your piston) ) , richen it up!!

BTW, the 'color' you're looking for is way down the insulator, where it meets the plug shell. Looking at the tip up towards the center electrode isn't going to tell you anything about your air/fuel ratio.

Don't do it with a plug that's been in your bike for the last six months. Best done with a new plug (say the experts).

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
well i did a plug check at wot the plug at the top was white but below close to the bottom of the porslen was a little tan my friend looked at it he is good with things like this he said it was a little rich but ok so i guess im good. the bike seem to run better cents iv gotton all your advice from everybody on here so thanks alot......

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
fast,
It's almost impossible to see down there without a nice lighted magnifying glass. Although if you get a flashlight you can somewhat tell.
You don't want to see brown, you want to see about a 1mm or so black ring at the very bottom of the insulator. If you have no black ring down ther then chances are you are a bit lean. Did you sense or hear any pinging or funny sound while wide open and under a load?
Have you been fiddlin with your jets, or are they stock?
I suggest you take a good read on the following site:

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
no i havent changed any jets just air screw 1and 1/8 out. iv put a pipe and silencer on fmf and no air lid thats all when i first got the bike it was rich so all iv done is turn the air screw out

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jaybird: (from the link you provided)
If you think about it you'll realize that the only color you can get from an air/fuel mixture is the color of soot.

OK...so I've thought about it, and come to no such conclusion. I'm not arguing the point, just asking for a clarification if you have one.

I have no idea what the makeup of 'fuel' even IS considering residues, additives, etc etc.....I'd never be able to 'arrive' at such a conclusion having absolutely no valid premise.

Use clifford research's 104+ as an example. It's got 'stuff' in it that definitely leaves a color behind on the plug.

I can't extrapolate from that fact to arrive at a conclusion that every color on a plug is from something other than 'fuel' (again, whatever THAT is).

Could you expand any on the 'only soot' statement if you have further info?

Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What further info do you need? Soot is black, and the remnants of a burn no matter what the contents of the substance that fueled the burn. The more soot left after a burn would mean the richer things are and less of the mixture got burned. If every bit of the mixture is getting burned up during combustion, then no soot at all would be left. A 2 stoke mixture that is buring at a rate that is safe for the engine as well as provides optimum performance of the full throttle circuit would have a small ring of soot at the bottom of the insulator which would be 1mm or less in height. If you read carefully you will note that a 4 stroke that is jetted on the edge will show very little ring at all. Exactly what are you after here?
Perhaps you should put together a paper to rebut the claims that were made by that author on the proper read of plugs. I'd be interested in just what conclusion you DID come to. You just may have went over my head and I just don't realise it. (scratchin head tryin to figure you out)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom