JFP said I need a fork spring of 39....

jam

Oct 14, 2000
JFP said I need a spring 39...

I went to the Fredette site and his page said I need a 39 fork spring so I looked on his cataloge and none were listed only 38/40/41??? I weigh 185 without gear so total with gear should be around 200-205.. has anyone ran into this or is fredette out of the 39 springs.... or do I need to just get on the phone??? and call Fredette??? thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
JFP? It is usually referred to as FRP. Personally dont call. Myself and a friend have never had good phone service with them.

Use a .40 spring. Should work fine especially if you are pushing the bike. Alternatively you can find some Xr springs that are in the .38-.42 range. I have a set that is .40 in the garage off a 600 if you are interested.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I use a .39 from Fredette. I weigh 220 w/o gear and it works beautifully. I do have the Gold Valve with stiffer than usual shim stacks though.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I've never had a problem with talking to someone at FRP. Infact I would much rather talk to someone who actually use's and race's with the product they sell. Then someone who just sits in office all day answering the phone. Don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, that's just how I feel about it.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, thats what I got. The more the better. Race Tech said I needed .41's but they were pretty pricey compared to the FRP springs. So I just went with the FRP .39's and ended up getting .40's. Thats alright if you ask me.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Just today I ordered front and rear springs from Race Tech.I weigh 215 plus gear.They reccommended 44 fronts and a 5.2 rear.Are the Race Tech springs different from Fredettes?If the stock springs in a 2001 220 are 38's a 39's don't sound like much of a change.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by jam
I went to the Fredette site and his page said I need a 39 fork spring so I looked on his cataloge and none were listed only 38/40/41??? I weigh 185 without gear so total with gear should be around 200-205.. has anyone ran into this or is fredette out of the 39 springs.... or do I need to just get on the phone??? and call Fredette??? thanks

I you really have your heart set on 39s and can't get them, you can get one 40 and one 38 which will give you the overall result of 39 (seriously).

Others on the site have done the same thing. There was a recent thread on here in the Suspension Forum about it as well>>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Stock springs aren't .38.

From buy kawi.....com:

FRONT FORK (KDX220-A5\~A8)
44026C 44026-1638 SPRING-FRONT FORK,K=0.35

That's why the bike is so unbalanced. Too light in the front, 1/2 way normal (5.0) in the back.

Good luck on your .44s Ouch!! Race tech's recs have always seemed high to me.

Whatever works!!;)

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I talked to the guys at Stroker about springs for my KDX and they also said .44 fronts and 5.2 rear. They use Race Tech springs also so there must be something different about them.Maybe they are progressive springs.What the hell did I buy? I'm so confused. :whiner:

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
My springs arrived on my door yesterday so that night I installed them.I was only able to get in a quick ride today.The best thing I can say is "I should have done it sooner" .44 fronts, 5.2 rear,10wt oil in front,stock rear oil and I added two clicks of rebound dampening in the rear.The bike no longer had that sea-saw effect.It felt very stable and soaked up the bumps so much better.The front didn't dive anything like it did in the corners yet it was still stuck through the turns.I was afraid it might want to washout on me but sofar it handles really good.Tomorrow I'm headed back to the MX track in Elsinore and I'll be able tell if it handles the jumps better.The jumps are not the problem it's the landings but I real real confident that it's going to be far better than it was.Race Tech recommended 5 wt. oil up front so I bought some but it looked so thin compared to what came out I used 10wt instead.I'm happy I did. :thumb:

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I'm extremely happy with the way my suspension handled the track today.The new springs helped more than I could of hoped for.I ran 20 non-stop miles on the vet track and then 11 more on the race track.The track was dry and hardpacked almost all day but the front tire gripped the track and never once pushed or wanted to washout.Money well spent.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom