MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
I'm planning a ride with about 6 people for 3/15. Most are Intermediate level, but a few are novice. I'm thinking about going to either Johnson Valley (stage near Cougar Buttes) or the area South of Hesperia and North of Silverwood Lake (Cleghorn??).

I haven't been to either place so I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm looking for a good variety of terrain with elevation changes, but not too difficult for Novice. Also, I'm not sure if both of these places are "legal" to ride - all bikes are green sticker. I don't want to go where it might be too crowded either.

Any advice would be appreciated. I usually go to Ocotillo or Randsburg area, but I need something closer for a 1/2 day trip.

Thanks!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Cleghorn is fun but very very crowded on the weekends.

If you want some mountain type trails I would recommend Miller Canyon. The staging area is called Pilot Rock and just a few miles past the Lake Silverwood enterance.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
JWW said:
If you want some mountain type trails I would recommend Miller Canyon. The staging area is called Pilot Rock and just a few miles past the Lake Silverwood enterance.

I agree. Miller Canyon is a great place. You will need an adventure pass to park in the National forest area and your bikes will have to have spark arresters and green stickers.

Nice avitar Jeff. Congrats on the new scoot. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jeff.

Check with the forest service. You may be able to run a red sticker this time of year. Not sure when the cut-off point is.

MJ27.

You can buy your adventure pass at the gas station on the 138 turnoff. The one next to the Dennys.

MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
Thanks for the feedback! A couple of questions...

How do I get to Pilot Rock? Take silverwood exit and head East?...Then?

Stock MX bikes do not come with Spark Arrestors, correct?

If I'm right about the spark arrestors, then that whole area may be out for us. Is Johnson Valley the nearest alternative?

Since I've got a group going, I don't want anyone getting a ticket.

Thanks again and I'd love to join you guys on a group ride in the future.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Cougar Buttes has some of the most challenging terrain that I have ridden.

Of course you don't have to ride those trails but I have found that the easier trails are so criss-crossed and rutted out that I wouldn't recommend the area for a beginner.

The Stoddard Valley area might be better for you, and probably quicker to get to. I would recommend the "Outlet Center" exit off I-15 as an entry point. It is certainly legal to ride. If you want some major elevation change you head southeast. If you want some mild elevation change you head northeast. If you like riding crazy whoops you can head due east. If you like rocks you can head south.

I believe that in any California BLM or Forest Service land a Spark Arrestor is technically required. I have never seen it enforced in the desert, however.

Rod

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
MJ27 said:
How do I get to Pilot Rock? Take silverwood exit and head East?...Then?

I found an older map online and attached below. I dont know exact miles or anything but I marked the staging area. I think the sign says Pilot Rock Conservation Camp. Make a left there and then an immediate right. This will take you over a small concrete bridge and to the staging areas. Spark arrestor is required.

Hope that helps.

MJ27 said:
Stock MX bikes do not come with Spark Arrestors, correct?

Pretty sure you need a spark arrestor every except a track.

Attachments

• devilsholemap (Medium).jpg
    devilsholemap (Medium).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 361

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
This should make it easier.

Attachments

• Overview (Medium).jpg
    Overview (Medium).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 232
  • detail (Medium).jpg
    detail (Medium).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 219

Yamajoe250F

Mar 21, 2008
Johnson valley is pretty cool you get sand dunes that are pretty big, and you get a flat lake bed and then some good trails all around its a good area for beginners, intermidete riders, and advanced.

I live like one hour from these 2 places but have not tried the other place yet.

basibasi

Aug 8, 2006
So can you still ride out in Hesperia?

Specifically the area right next to the aqueduct?

I haven't been out there in more than 10 years so just
wondering ...

thanks,
-basi

Top Bottom