XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
I know these questions have been asked and asked :bang:
But I am really wanting to get the 1st gear mod done on my sons JR 50 let me make sure I have this straight I remove the right side cover?? The one opposite the shifter?? I know duh :coocoo: !!! :) :) Do I need new gaskets?? Anything like that? Any other parts I may need?? And I dont need to remove the engine?? Cool if not!!
Also I was thinking about changing the gearing any suggestions would be great...
Last question:
I seen FMF made a power core silencer for the JR has anyone tried this is there any improvement/?
https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=83&ItemID=023050

https://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=76&ItemID=023049

I know this is highly repetitive but any help would be appreciated!! And my 4 year old would love a bit more power. He is highly skilled and is just a bit to small for the CRF 50 or any other 2 stroke 50 I think he might have another year or 2 on it.. I would love to put up some pics of him but have no idea how on this forum.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
yes you pull the right side cover off. you might need a new gasket if yours tears. its worth having on hand just in case and less than 10 bucks.

Before I'd drop a ton of $$$, or any $$$ on a jr I'd save up and get a proper racer. The suspension on the jr's is so crappy they don't handle much improvment in speed. Do some freebies like removing the oil injection and jetting properly but before spending money on hop ups that are, at best going to take a 2hp bike to 2.2hp bike.

also you might look at the cobra pw3 and ktm Mini adventure OI. They both have low seat heigths about the same as the JR on the top rung out back. My little guy moved from the pw50 to the pw3 right when he turned 4. Ths suspension makes a huge difference in their riding. Either is a great move once little junior is flying on his JR.

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
Thanks I was thinking the same thing I was not rel sure about investing 200 bucks in exaust for the JR... I also have a CRF 50 which he is still not comfortable riding so maybe we need to spend some time on it!!! Thanks for your reply

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
no problem.
FWIW seat heigths on both bikes I mentioned above are lower than the crf. also I don't like the crf as a beginner bike because its about 40lbs heavier than the two bikes mentioned above and still has crap for suspension.

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
Agreed. Still no one has tried any kind of after market exaust for the JR if it made a noticable differance I would get it.. The pipe it has looks like a 4 stroke pipe.. Also do they sell a uni pod for the JR like they have for the CRF 50's??

Top Bottom