JR50 Run without oil - is it damaged?

rbarbot2

Nov 19, 2006
I was hoping to buy a friend's 2003 Suzuki JR50, which looks in good condition. I know next to nothing about this little bike, but I do know that it has oil injection. The problem is, the owner has NEVER put 2 cycle oil in the tank for the 20 or so hours that his son has used the bike. He didn't even know the tank was under the fender plastic. He has been running straight gas and adding 2 cycle oil to the Transmission oil filler plug.

Amazing enough, the bike still runs but seems really gutless. They may all be like this but I don't have any experience with it to compare. It will only idle with the choke on.

What kind of damage has likely been done to this thing? Is it repairable, or is the motor likely fried? THanks for any advice.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Well lets see, No oil on the rod bearings, mains and rings for 20 hours, I'd say that damage is there without a dought. I wouldn't buy this bike. If you did buy it and for some reson got lucky and it lasted that would be great but if it didn't then what. By the time you buy a new crank assembly, piston, rings and all the bearings and gaskets you would have been better off just to go out and get a new one, not to mention if can't do the work your self and have to pay someone to do it.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Was the oil injection tank empty? They don't use much 2 stroke oil. I would bet that the dealer filled the tank as part of his pre-delivery checklist. I seriously doubt the bike has been run for 20 hours without any oil in the bottom end.

rbarbot2

Nov 19, 2006
Yes, the tank was dry. It had residue in the bottom portion but the rest of the tank looked pristine, like it never had more than a couple ounces of oil in the bottom.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
The JR50 are a tough engine, and a SOB to get carb working right. I've cussed my boys old 50 for that reason, Sometimes it would run great, then the next you'd wear out two men kicking it. It still runs but the boy trashed the tranny slamming it from 1st to 2nd Yes theres a low gear in the jr50 engine, just have to mod the case to reveal it.
I don't see that bike could've run for 20 hours without oil, thats just impossible. These bikes run rich anyway.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
The condition of the bike is hard to guess. It may have some damage from lack of oil or it may just need a top end. It could also have the restrictor in the exhaust. It might be a decent buy if you can get it cheap.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Run Forest, run!!!!

pirogue

Nov 19, 2006
no one suggested a compression gauge?........ also while you have the plug out, make sure it rolls smoothly.

they also come with a restrictor in the exhaust. if that's still in place the motor will run like @ 25% power and will have likely saved the motor.

the fact that the motor will not run without choke maybe sure sign of damaged cyl or rings.

a compression gauge will give ya a good idea of the damage if any.

good luck.

Top Bottom