jr50 will not stay running

paper racer

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I just bought an 84 jr50 and the owner told me it will start and can be ridden for about 15 minutes before the bike stops running. I had the coil tested and it was fine. Do you think it may just need an adjustment of the carb. Thanks.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Does it start back up right away? Does it have to sit for a while? Is it fouling the plug? Maybe it isn't getting enough fuel to keep the bowl filled? Not really sure.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
possibly a stator. after it quits running you need to pull the plugh cap and put a different plug in it then check for spark. that way you can split the problem in half. is it ignition or fuel related. if its not ignition it could be a case air leak but I'd suspect ignition first.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would suspect there is some crud in the float bowl. It sits at the bottom of the bowl until you ride it. It then becomes suspended in the fuel until some gets stuck in the main jet and the bike stops running. After letting it sit for a while, the crud settles to the bottom of the bowl and the bike starts again. Pull the float bowl and check for crud.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…