Jumping, do you sit or stand before you launch ?

CRFanatic

That name would confuse me.... I'd think u had gotten the new 450. You could use CR_Fanatic, or get the new CRF450 (no doubt the better choice!! :p )

There is another reason not to sit jump takeoffs.
Sitting is used to get more height to clear jumps at a lower speed.
However it is faster to jump lower. In other words, I can carry more speed through a jump by standing. If I sat it at that same speed , I would overjump the obstacle, and it would be longer for me to get back down to start accelerating again.

Remember, airtime is time you are not on the throttle.

I don't sit all the way up the jump until take off. I stand right before the jump. I guess it's just something I just do...I don't why ;)

Reeko hit the nail on the head. Airtime is deadtime.

If you need extra lift, then preload the suspension by sitting just before take-off. Be careful when traveling high speed because you can get thrown.

I usually sit for the short, slow speed stuff (in or out of turns ect.,)

just my .o2

nikki

Moto Junkie
I think the only time I sit on most MX tracks is going into a corner and sometimes a second or two coming out of the corner (like to upshift a gear - it's easier for me to do sitting). But I approach almost all jumps standing (not straight up - but with my knees bent and my but usually just over the seat), and if I need more lift - I push down on the rear suspension with my legs off of the jump face. But you might want to practice compressing the suspension on smaller jumps before you try it on 50 foot doubles. :)

DougRoost

Subscriber
I agree that it is rare you want to sit to get extra lift. I recommend buing and reading the "Pro Riding Techniques" book for sale from Eric on DRN Home page -- it answers all this and much more.

I have a real hard time sitting exept in corners or when I shift(bad habit)
the rest of the time I stand

ev1

when isit i land ok but when standin nearly always land front wheel first scary cant jump standin

I also sit when on the face of the jump, and stand as I get into the air, and when landing. I noticed that RC does the same thing on his KX. Go figure.:p