_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I am by no means an accomplished jumper, but I generally try and stay steady off the lip. I hit it as fast as the guy before me. I can't recall ever being the first to hit a jump.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have found that hitting small steep jumps to get the hang of correcting the bikes flight is a great teaching tool. Biuld a two or three foot jump steep enough to kick you up a few feet and get the hang of using throttle/brake to correct in the air. Once you get the hang of that bigger jumps are much less intimidating. Being committed is very important. If you are unsure coming up to it, you will probly not do very well. If you aren't confident you can do it, don't. Stick to something smaller.

Jun 1, 2008
It also depends on the shape of the lip. If you have an easy gradual transition then pinning it up through the lip isnt needed.
If you are jumping off a kicker that has a steep transition, you need to gas it all the way off the top otherwise you will be face planting the ground

Digger30

Jun 5, 2008
just try watchin other people with the same type of bike as you go over it. then just follow them over it. If its a double practice doing a table-top thats about the same size at it. test your speed out on that instad of the double to get used to the speed you need to go

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
In my experience, the smaller the jump, the more its going to try and buck you over the bars. The reasoning being that by the time the back wheel is about to take flight the front wheel is already on its way down. With that reasoning in mind, the bigger the jump the steadier the throttle on take off. The smaller the jump the more you have to goose it to keep the front wheel up.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
There is no real answer for this question. It all depends on the jump, (height, steepness, distance, etc), the amount of speed you can carry up to the jump, etc.

Some steep doubles and tripples right out of corners require you to keep it pinned all the way into the air. But if you have the right technique, getting your weight forward maybe a back brake tap, you can land perfect. Some stepdowns that you could carry more then enough speed for require almost to slow down on the face allowing a slight amount of engine breaking to bring your front end down so you can land perfect.

You have to get used to jumping and hitting different kinds of jumps to know exactly what you need to do. Also once you get some experience, after rolling a jump once or twice you will get a good idea of the speed needed to hit it.

Start small. find a table top to learn on, and don't try clearing the whole thing first time. Keep constant throttle up the face for the first couple times untill you know how your bike will act in the air. Keep your weight centered over your bike.

I've seen too many new people pin it right up the face and sky wheelie it, and rip their back fenders off.

First time I hit a decent jump was on my XR100. Jumped over a small track by hitting the backside of the berm. Well I had that XR100 pinned in 3rd gear. Sky wheeled the crap outa it, over jumped what I needed to jump by about 10 feet. Landed way on my back wheel, front slammed down, cracked that mouth gaurd thing on the helmet on my bars, but managed to stay on the bike with only some serious butterflies in my stomach, and pain from my, umm, hitting the gas tank if you know what i mean...

5 minutes later my brother did the exact opposite thing on the same jump. haha.

Good luck!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Cabot said:
Start small. find a table top to learn on, and don't try clearing the whole thing first time.

I haven't figured out how to start small.

After four years of riding the desert I thought I would try the local MX track. Man, did I feel out of place.

The table top jumps were okay, I could land short and still be okay. It was the doubles that had a 4 foot trough between them that I couldn't manage. Landing short on these guys was painful. Worse, they were all located right after a turn so if you were not coming out of the turn properly you couldn't set up for the double.

Last night I was at the track (second time) and rolled one of the doubles. The guy behind me didn't roll the double. Ever have a MX bike land on top of you?

That hurt.

I wish there was a track nearby that had a bunch of these doubles set up side by side in an otherise open field. Going left to right the doubles could get larger. Then I could start small and work my way up.

I guess where I live land is way to expensive for that kind of approach.

I am debating on if I will go back to the track. Getting passed on the left or right doesn't bother me but getting passed over my head feaks me out......

Rod

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've had guys jump over me, it's freaky.. but never had one land on me. I think I'd be pretty well pissed off if one did.

I can't jump to save my life, but I keep trying.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As far as jumping is concerned, if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it. In which case you definitely need to roll the doubles and play with the tables. When you are finally comfortable enough in flight, ask somebody at the track to show you how to hit specific jumps.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I haven't figured out how to start small.

After four years of riding the desert I thought I would try the local MX track. Man, did I feel out of place.

The table top jumps were okay, I could land short and still be okay. It was the doubles that had a 4 foot trough between them that I couldn't manage. Landing short on these guys was painful. Worse, they were all located right after a turn so if you were not coming out of the turn properly you couldn't set up for the double.

Last night I was at the track (second time) and rolled one of the doubles. The guy behind me didn't roll the double. Ever have a MX bike land on top of you?

That hurt.

I wish there was a track nearby that had a bunch of these doubles set up side by side in an otherise open field. Going left to right the doubles could get larger. Then I could start small and work my way up.

I guess where I live land is way to expensive for that kind of approach.

I am debating on if I will go back to the track. Getting passed on the left or right doesn't bother me but getting passed over my head feaks me out......

Rod
which track did you go to?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
stumanarama said:
which track did you go to?

It was the Santa Clara Moto Cross track, at the fairgrounds.

Four days later: My right shoulder is all scraped up, but not hurting much. My left thumb has been useless. My right ribs just plain hurt. Right thigh is tender.

I need to get back to the track and "get back on the horse" but it won't be this week......

Rod

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
Thats what I thought. I went to that track for the first time a couple weeks ago, it was certainly an interesting experience. It was fun but I decided that for 6 dollars metcalf was a better place to practice(at least till I feel up to that rhythem section at scmx) Get better soon, once you start riding again you'll be alot happier(and so will your bike)

p.s. having someone jump over you is scary as hell! :yikes: :yell: thats happened to me once, and thats one time too many

racer09

Mar 7, 2006
i just hit the jump slow and kinda how it throws you then decide about how fast to hit. I woulder rather over jump a lil than case a jump also.

May 10, 2007
having people jump over me isnt that bad but the scariest thing i ever have happen to me was a tabletop that has an incredibly steep landing. i usually dont try to clear it because the landing is just too steep. well one time i was racing around w/ my friend and forgot about it. i cleared it.....and then some. i totally missed the landing and the problem is that it goes down farther then the takeoff so it is a totally blind jump. i couldnt push my bike out cuz of how it is. you land in like a ditch. then of course im trying to start it with people jumping down. even being all the way over to the side it was scary

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom