Gearing Down while in the air off a jump...

*Cr-boy*

May 31, 2006
What I need to know is how do u gear down in the air when you have to concentrate on landing the jump but then when you land your bike either dies down because of the gear you :bang: jumped it in or it stalls after u land..how do u gear down while ur in the air.??can anyone give me tips...

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Are you jumping with a parachute or into a stiff wind?

Except for a small amount of wind resistance effects you should be touching down with the same speed you left the ground with. If the gear was right when you took off I would expect it to be all right when you land.

What can happen is that you accidentially hit the rear brake while you are in the air and that stalls your engine. There shouldn't be any problem bump starting it on the landing though, but the little wheel skid might be a little scary.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Except for a small amount of wind resistance effects you should be touching down with the same speed you left the ground with. If the gear was right when you took off I would expect it to be all right when you land.
My thoughts exactly. If anything you should be looking to upshift while in the air, not down. I'd say you're short shifting.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Just knock it down a gear in the air and land with the power on. You should just about always land with the power on anyway, it eases the landing, and aids control.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are landing into a corner, it may be more convenient to get the downshift in before hitting the ground. This way you can concentrate on braking and cornering when you land.
To shift, just give it a little tap soon after you leave the ground, that way you have time to concentrate on the landing. Try it on a few short jumps that you can easily land first.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I think the point of his problem is being missed hear. Yes, you may need to downshift in the air if you're setting up for a turn. And yes, you may shift into neutral and not be able to apply power upon landing which is never good. But the real problem is that the bike is stalling upon impact. This should never happen, you should be able to land with the bike amped up and ready to go. What gear are you jumping in?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yeah, I've been known to stall the bike before rolling a jump, once ther bike touches down, I pop the clutch and it fires back up. If the bike is stalling on impact, he should probably be shifting up instead of down. As far as accidental neutrals in the air goes, I don't recall ever needing first gear on any track (except riding through the pits), so it shouldn't be too big of an issue unless you forget what gear you are in.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
Is the bike stalling in the air or when you land? Maybe you are hitting the brakes after you land which would cause the bike to stall in which case you have to use the clutch.

dbn045

May 25, 2006
i hate downshifting in the air too because when i land it slows me down soo much and it fells like i'm going to fly off my bike. So i usually try to shift down after i land

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom