njkx

Apr 13, 2004
I just bought a 05 YZ 250f. My prior bike was a kx250. I've got 3 rides on the new bike and am still struggling with jumps, mainly big tabletops. I am a novice rider and with my 2 stroke I usually did not hit big jumps at full power. I usually went up a gear with momentum and smooth power. When I do this on the 4 stroke the nose seems to dive. Then I was staying on the throttle longer and going nose high. Can't seem to find a happy meduim. I'm not advanced enough for brake tapping.

Also how much can you rev these things out? The bike sounds kinda scary at high revs.

any suggestions?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It will rev out a lot further than you think. Try winding it out till you find the rev limitter in 2nd in a long, smooth field or dirt road. You'll be surprised at how high that thing will pull.

I would suggest getting used to hitting jumps while still on the gas and not letting off till you are completely in the air. You will likely have to move yourself farther forward to compensate for the extra drive you'll be getting. With 4 strokes, merely letting off the gas while in the air is almost as good as hitting the rear brake.

If you hit the jumps on the gas and forward on the bike, letting off in the air and pushing the front forward and down (just push yopurself back, the bars will go forward and down on their own) will return you to a more neutral position once airborn.

R007GHST

Jan 30, 2005
i agree, 4 strokes sounds evil and scarry when rved high almost like it will blow up, but that is what the revbox is for, im with "high lord", try keepin on the gas and as you go up the jump face give it a little extra not alot but a little

Yz250f=secks

Mod Ban
Sep 23, 2005
i have a 2002 yz250f and im having the same problem. Where i ride theirs this big table top. Every time i try to hit it, my wheel goes straight up and i almost fall off on my ass. Or the bike nose dives. Im afraid to try it now because this jump isnt small and im not use to jumping. It just seems like ill never be able to get it if i keep nose diving and going straight up.. I dunno ^^

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Look, jumping is not a stunt. If you have trouble on bigger or harder jumps, find an easier one and practise on that. If your throttle and body position control is really at a stage where your bike just points wherever randomly, maybe you would be better off practising wheelying and braking and riding in chop and bumps for a while.

My biggest problem is not having the balls to jump stuff I know I would have no problem with, skills-wise.

Top Bottom