Just another newb here asking about ratios....

roxydog

Mar 2, 2006
Ive read all of your posts on this topic till my eyes hurt, and im still undecided. I just purchased an 04 kx 125 and after the first 30 minutes of riding i fouled a plug, im sure since i was putting around at times and stalled it. So anyhow im told that the spooge from tailpipe is normal, but what is the deal with ratios. My kx says to use 32:1 ratio but dude at the powersports place told me to run 40:1. Now i have been reading threads on here that say that the ratios may also change depending on what oil you use. I bought a bottle of belray h1R. So im preparing my premix but im not sure what ratio to use now, can anyone with experience point me in the right direction?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have always ran 32:1 on my Kawasaki 2T's. If you are running low RPM there is a good possibility that this is the problem causing the fouled plugs and probably not the ratio. 2T Motocross bikes are meant to be ridden at a high RPM. This is especially true for 125's. Depending on conditions you may run slightly leaner. If you get a bottle of Golden Spectro Pre-mix for example, you will see the different recommendations they provide for different riding conditions but for all intensive purposes you should be fine running the recommended 32:1 most of the time.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
I've almost always ran with 32:1 no matter the location or oil. The two MOST common are 32:1 and 40:1...and it really just varies due to split opinions on the topic...32:1 is much safer though...
You are going to foul plugs while staying at low speeds, especially on an mx bike. They are meant for high speeds, and if you are going to go low speeds, then you need to rejet and change a bunch more things.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
If your fowling plugs, your jetting is off. Trials bikes always run slow. I ride my CR in the woods sometimes just lugging it around, and sometimes I rip around the track. I change my plug once a year - just because I think I should. This has been the case for every bike I've owned since 1990 - but I took the time to jet it out.

redrider661

Feb 21, 2006
I have never ran belray premix, but i would recomend maxima k2, or yamalube at 40:1 mixture. I race motocross and have never fouled a plug or seized a top-end. Jetting does play a big role on the life of your spark plug and you deffinetly need to open up your bike alot to blow out the oil. Also it's not really recomended but you could try a little hotter burning spark plug, or the safer bet would be to go to the little more expensive iridium spark plug.

Top Bottom