Just another What bike do I get thread

HaydenFan

Dec 29, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'10" 165lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Moderately

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Tracks and woods. Do people ride both?

4) Do you have any riding experience? Sport bikes, 10yrs

5) Do you think you will race ? :p

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Somewhat / whenever possible

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I'm thinking 4 banger but open to suggestion

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I think I have all of them

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 2k - 4k ??

10) Do you live in California? Negative

11) Your age? 32

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion I ride street bikes and do track days. I am looking to have fun in the off season and improve my overall skills, maybe do some racing, both on and off road.

May 10, 2007
for your price range you cannot beat a 125 2t.

used 4t's can be risky because you do not know if the person before you did the work it required. they are very high maintenance.
you could be buying a great deal. or a time bomb.

a used 250 2t could be ok too but it would have a high ammount of power for a beginner.

HaydenFan

Dec 29, 2007
So you would stay away from an '02 cr250?

What is a high amount of power for a beginner? Is that taking into consideration I ride a 130hp street bike?

If I decided to go 4 stroke how much (in your opinion) would I have to spend on a good bike?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
An 02 cr250 is a wonderful bike, nothng wrong with you getting a 250 or a 450 4 stroke. Most street bike riders can make a sucessful transiton if you can remember to stand up on the bike when you hit bumps or jumps. A decent 4 stroke can be had for around $3000.

Jan 3, 2007
A CR250 has the narrowest, and hardest hitting powerband out of most the 2 strokes. Not saying you should not get it but it will be fun. Coming off a 750 you should be fine.

HaydenFan

Dec 29, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I would say go for the CR but if the KTM is nice i would get him down to $2000 unless its super clean.

Can you be specific as to why you would go for a CR over a KTM SX? Is it that one is a 250 and the other a 125? Is it Honda over KTM?

BTW the KTM is very clean and seems to have been well maintained. It is kept in a clean garage also.

THANKS for the advice.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
2 strokes for life said:
I ment the CR because you would grow out of it as fast as a 125 but 125s make you a better rider due to their snappy power.

:think:

125 2T? Snappy? Possible for a lighter weight. We are talking about a guy that is 165 lbs. coming off a 130 HP street bike. I don't think he's going to want to be clutching the crap out of a 125. What makes a 250 2T not "snappy"? Mine sure is! :whoa:

HaydenFan - don't sell yourself short, 125's are fun, but you WILL find yourself looking for power. I had a KX125, had a blast on it, but when I needed that snort, it wasn't there. I'm at 165 lbs. give or take, and the 250 is the only thing I would consider riding anywhere challenging.

Jan 3, 2007
I think its all about the rider. I have more fun on a 125 then a 250 anyday. 125 is challengine to ride in places its easy on a 250 witch will make you learn to ride a 250 better in any situation. There arent many riders that can fully use the power of a 125 all the time anyways. So, why not try one and find out for yourself. See if you like a 125 or a 250.

HaydenFan

Dec 29, 2007
I'm going KTM sx 125. Going to ride it for a while and then try something else. Picking up a 2005 (very clean ) for $2300. :cool:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Enjoy and keep us posted. I'm pretty sure you will be on a 250 before too long. :nod:

HaydenFan

Dec 29, 2007
Rooster said:
Enjoy and keep us posted. I'm pretty sure you will be on a 250 before too long. :nod:

Thanks! Me too but I'm cool with learning on the 125... :ride: Even if it's not going to give me what I need all of the time it should be fun for a while. I've got no problem getting another bike when I need to juice it up.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
That's the spirit. I loved the 125 for playing around, but when it came to the hills, the 250 was what I needed, full on snort from bottom to top. (For a skinny guy)

Top Bottom