Just because you can build something ...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... it doesn't mean you should.

or

How to solve a problem that doesn't exist by using hideously expensive design methods. :coocoo:

It's sad when marketing weasels are allowed access to engineering people.

bk_product.jpg

bk_isotruss.jpg

This thing is so expensive they won't even put the price on the website.:)

Last edited:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Is that drastically lighter than a standard mountain bike frame? Or just drastically uglier?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
but it weighs under 2.75 lbs!

I want a motorcycle frame built like that now . . .

but they need to use Chucktanium

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I wouldn't want to fall on that thing and get wadded up in it. :whoa: It would be like crashing on a cheese grater. :yikes:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
As a point of reference, my state of the art butted and drawn Easton Scandium GX2 aluminum Niner Air9 29" wheel frame, handles like a dream, is tough as nails and weighs a whopping 4.5 ounces more than this idiotic fashion statement masquerading as a bicycle frame. Plus the Niner frame only cost $750.

0908Air9rawCutout.jpg

What a world. :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
After a couple of uses, the trick frame looks like it would collect a few ounces of grit and mud which would be impossible to remove, negating the weight savings.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
After a couple of uses, the trick frame looks like it would collect a few ounces of grit and mud which would be impossible to remove, negating the weight savings.
Dave, you silly goose! You wrap the frame in 4.5 ounces of saran wrap to keep the mud from sticking.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirt bike dave said:

Worse, just imagine the nightmare of trying to ride through tight single track and having small branches and brush getting jammed into the frame and bringing the whole show to an abrupt and unexpected HALT. :yikes:

I guess this bike is designed for those yupuzzies who think riding the 3 blocks to the local Starbucks and posing on the bench out front is what mountain bikes were designed for.

I'll never understand people. :rotfl:

Oh well, there will be more room in the woods for the rest of us I guess. :yeehaw:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
Worse, just imagine the nightmare of trying to ride through tight single track and having small branches and brush getting jammed into the frame and bringing the whole show to an abrupt and unexpected HALT. :yikes:

I guess this bike is designed for those yupuzzies who think riding the 3 blocks to the local Starbucks and posing on the bench out front is what mountain bikes were designed for.

I'll never understand people. :rotfl:

Oh well, there will be more room in the woods for the rest of us I guess. :yeehaw:

True. I live by and work at a college campus and this couldn't be any more true. What gets me are the guys that have the most expensive bikes sitting on top of their most expensive roof racks on top of their BMW's. None of which has a speck of dirt on them and probably never have. I just want to take my $400 Specialized Hardrock and swap them out so that $2000 bike can do what it was bred for... :nener:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This reminds me of the old ladies that put plastic covers on their furniture so they won't get stained. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If they wrapped it tight enough and filled it with helium, it would weigh -2.75 lbs. :whoa:

You would have to add weight to it to keep it from floating away. ;) :laugh:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That truss system has to deflect, how much is acceptable. This brings to mind the genius racing down the side of a volcano, on a carbon fiber frame. Outstanding crash!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2strokerfun said:
I can't understand the squawking, it's such an aerodynamic design of inefficiency

I could be wrong, probably am, but I don't think the frame is really the part of the "aero" package of a bike that makes a difference.

Plus, with a mountain bike, is aerodynamics even a factor?

I'd think weight and strength would be the more important design factors.

Hell, I think looks would be more important in a mountain bike, than aero, and that thing is hideous.

gracey

Feb 1, 2008
Funnier still Indymx- from the web page you hooked up -are their "top seven reasons to buy one of their limited edition frames". Yep, flex and rigidity..."less fibers" like I've been counting my fibers on my carbon fiber bike and found- gasp- TOO MANY!!

Check this mouthwatering gobbledygook out:

Delta7 said:
5. Impact Isolation: Redundant lattice structure makes the Arantix even stronger during impact/crash scenarios by isolating damage without compromising the whole frame.
Does anyone believe this? We just plug in a little weave and presto magico all betta post crash?

But this is my true favorite:

Delta7 said:
6. Ride-OptimizationI: Redundant lattice geometry of the Arantix allows for direction specific design. The frame may be customized with more fibers on the side for improved lateral stiffness as well as fewer fibers on top/bottom for greater vertical compliance, opening up a world of ride tuning possibilities.

What?? I can order my 1 in 200 limited edition frame with a special fiber count to the one side because I need it tricked out and tuned for extra special power transfers in my woods?? I'll give you my specs for that guys. Yeah. uh huh. :whoa:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
EXACTLY!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom