Just got a KDX 175

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I just picked my first KDX yesterday, a very nice looking 1980 KDX 175. Some of you may have seen it on **** last week, I ended up driving about 5 hours one way to pick it up so I was releived to see that it is in as good shape as the pics look. It also came with 2 shop manuals and the original title! I just need to get a few basics for it and it will be ready to go. It runs great but I plan on getting new tires and chain before I ride it too much. This is my first 2 stroke since my Tri Moto 125 when I was about 12. The guy I bought it off was mixing it 20-1 but that seems a little much, I read in some of the fourms that 32-1 will be fine, does everybody agree? I am not sure when the top end was done last but it has plenty of compression and starts right up so I am going to leave it alone for now. It feels great to be back on 2 wheels again after riding quads for years!

white knuckes

Jul 19, 2004
I picked up one of those 80's KDX175's a few years back thinking it would be a forgiving bike for my 12 year old at that time. Air cooled straight forward machine. On closer inspection the Uni-track linkage needed new bushings, did a top end and tried to tune it. Had this strange problem of no low end then mid throttle hit. After jetting it to death I replaced the factory metal reeds with Boyseen (spelling) power reeds about $20. That thing came to life and ran great. Very dependable too much for the kid though.

I ran between 32:1- 40:1 like one pint Silkolene to 4.5 gallons guessing result 36:1 or something. No problems and not much smoke. The old specs are not for modern synthetic lubricants.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
Yup, that was the one I got. It came with 2 original manuals (one from an 80 and one from an 81) The Kawasaki online parts diagrams have been very helpful for doing research and getting part numbers, but you are right about the cost of some of the older parts! I only order OEM stuff if it is the only way. I hit the Parts Unlimited catalog today at the local dealer and ordered up a bunch of stuff. After all that stuff comes in I can start the registration/insurance process needed to ride "legal" in New York. :ugg:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…