jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
Hi everyone I just picked up a 03 220 last night. I have been riding a 97DR350SE for the last 6 years so I am very excited about my new bike. I have not been able to ride it yet (too much on the honey do list) but I'm sure it will be sweet in the woods here in Michigan. I'm looking forward to riding a 2 stroke again and it wont be to long before the mods start.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Jnugent, welcome to this great site! I'm pretty new to KDX's too; just got my '03 200 in July. If you haven't already picked up on this, here are some initial tips I've learned in my short time here:
1) Get a service manual for your bike ASAP. They cost $25-35 depending on where you get it, and it is worth its weight in gold.
2) Go ahead and subscribe to the DirtRider.net site. I have learned much more from this site than I have from the service manual, and I bet you will too.
3) Realize that the stock jetting on your bike is probably not suitable for your riding conditions. The "JustKDX" web site has outstanding tutorials on carb jetting; consider them a must-read.
4) Unless you are 5'6" and 175" (or so), the stock suspension setup is likely not for you either. Again, there are great tips on the JustKDX website for suspension setup.
5) If you don't already have them, get 6-pt metric sockets; don't waste your time with 12-pt ones, they just round off the really tight nuts.
6) Read the "New Bike Prep" info on the JustKDX web site, and believe me, when they say that the factory puts very little grease on the bearings, they aren't kidding!

Happy trails!

Al Bouman

Jan 1, 2003
Where in Michigan do you ride?

I just rode the Everett trails and they are one good test for your kdx. There is all kinds of tight trails, rocks, roots, stumps, water, sand, hills. I had a riot. 22 miles that felt like 50.

Have fun with your new ride.

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by Al Bouman
Where in Michigan do you ride?

I just rode the Everett trails
I have ridden Everett a few times, most of the time we go in early spring or late fall so the trails are not over grown. It is a tight nasty loop that will beat you up and put a big smile on your face when you get it right. I rode Leota, Denton today. It was really dry and the sand was loose. The good new was I was on the KDX for the 1st time and the thing flat out rocks!!! I have not even set the sag on the thing and I was already much faster than on my DR350. Now the hard part, going over the whole bike and giving it a proper greasing. I have been reading this site for 3 days now and I'm getting great info. I will try to not ask those repeat newbe questions.

Top Bottom