cc13lab

May 28, 2009
Hey everyone!

My first post so sorry if I am in the wrong place or out of scope... I just purchased a really nice looking 2003 kdx200 with low hours on it - 30ish from a person that has had it in storage for some time. I haven't done maintenance on a 2 stroke in 15 years and was wondering if I should pull the top end/redue it prior to riding? or just a compression test? Everything else looks / runs fine.

Thanks!

Larry

fonnzy8

May 11, 2009
I would clean your carb well, change all the fluids, and clean your air filter. Then you should be good to go!!! These bikes are virtually bulletproof..... :ride:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Do some reading around the KDX forum. I seem to remember some piston cracking issues on some of them. I would rebuild it just to have that peice of mind.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Careful with the rebuild, make sure that the circlips are in good. I hadn't worked on an engine or rode in 15 years as well, got a 1995 KDX200, did my top end on my KDX, didn't put those clips in well and pow destroyed piston and cylinder.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
joe its the 330's that have the problem with the stock piston

cc13lab welcome ...as fonzy said refresh fluids + air filter but the carb should be good :cool: as you stated "runs fine" don't skimp on the air in the tires change that too :laugh:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Take off the fuel tank and rinse some fresh gasoline in there, then let some run through the petcock (on off valve). Pour the rest back out the top, as there is a filter on the petcock. The gasoline can be used to rinse off the filter portion, then back out the tank through the lid.

Clean the carburetor.

Clean and oil the air filter.

Change the transmission oil (10w-40 motor oil or 80weight gear oil)

Check all fasteners, chain slack, tire pressure (12-ish front and rear) I once bought a bike and wondered why I got poor traction. The tires had 30 psi in each!

You might want to remove the chain, soak it in kerosene for a while, then scrub it with an old toothbrush, then let it dry some, then soak it with chain lube. Whatever gunk is on the chain now has been caked on for a long time.

Oh! and fresh premix at 32:1

Congratulations on buying the bike. Buy a service manual from your local dealer. It will be the best money you ever spent!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom