team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
There was a KDX at the dealer ship today.
He said it was a 96' but, it had a fatty pipe on
it. So i looked in Dennis Kirk and saw that they
only make the fatty pipe for 89-94 KDX200.

So when they switched to the perimiter frame in 1995
did the engine stay the same?

thanks

Oh and about the bike...the wanted $2600.00 for it
but, it was toast. It had very low compression and
when you let it idle there was a huge KNOCKING
noice in the cylinder.

could this bike need replating because the cylinder is
shaped like a egg now and it has piston slap?

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The FMF 'Gnarly' pipe is similar or the same in shape to a fatty but made with heavier material. The Gnarly is available for the 95+ KDX. Also, FMF does change their products from time to time; maybe they used to sell the fatty but now only make the Gnarly for that bike. Check out www.fmfracing.com for more info.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The "Fatty" was the pipe that FMF was selling for the KDX until sometime in the last few years, they decided to offer only the "Gnarly" pipe for the perimeter frame KDX. Mine has a fatty. It comes in torque (K-35) and rev (K-30) flavors. From what I've been able to see, the main difference between the fatty and the gnarly, is that the gnarly is constructed out of heavier gauge metal and hence is tougher ( and weighs more...)

$2600 sounds pretty steep for a '96 unless everything is fresh and the bike has some goodies (pipe, suspension, o-ring chain, etc...) that you'd otherwise spend $$$ to get.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Some of us cant pass up a good deal.........and cant aford a new tank....but as more parts go off the bike it sure isnt going back "Barney-fied" I thought the 80's ended in 89'......:p

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I feel for ya !

the purple might look trick if it was shiney, with aftermarket graphic's, maybe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom