K-Mart or Kame-Apart

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Thank the good lord that the worst retail store in the U.S. might be folding. I can't remember the last time that I bought something from the big K. There's no way that they could stay afloat selling the crap the did. They quite possibly have the worst sporting goods section of any store that I have ever been in. I'd rather shop at the salvation army store! Good ridence to bad rubbish!!!!

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Wow, actually I really like K-Mart and hope they pull through this bankruptcy... They have the best price around here on Mobil 1 15W50!

Wal-Mart needs some competition.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I haven't been in K-mart in almost a year. I got tired of their antics some time back. For instance, Rubbermaid storage units on sale. Go in to get a couple and they are out of stock. We ask the sales person if they have any in the back and get told that they only had 2 in stock in the first place. We go get a rain check. Six months later, the rain check is still on the fridge. Whats up with that? Here's another one; the day after Thanksgiving, sales everywhere including K-mart. Advertised, 19 inch color TVs for $100.00. My wife is in line waiting for the store to open. The doors are unlocked and crazed women head for the Tvs. My wife gets there and they are gone. A sales person is asked if there are anymore. There are no more and they only had 6 in stock. SIX, what is wrong with this picture? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-Wal-mart, but under the same circumstances they have over 200 TVs in stock. There is a way to do business and a way not to do business, and K-mart is an example of how NOT to do business. IMO they are reaping what they have been sowing for years. There will be none of this :( from me when K-mart closes its doors.

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
I wasn't going to say this but what the heck.

Wishing that a company folds is disgusting. You may not like their management and that's fine. The way to change that is to complain. You can buy shares of stock in a company and vote who goes on the board.

The economy stinks right now if you haven't noticed. Nobody in the gov't is doing anything about it. There are very few job openings out there that pay a decent salary. I can't believe that people are happy about more people losing their jobs. Someday it might be you that loses their job because of poor and/or illegal management practices.

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
Dix,

Has Target (pronounced tar-jay with a snotty French accent) made it to your part of Michigan yet? They have nicer stores than WT-Mart and K-Mart.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by DSsuper92
The economy stinks right now if you haven't noticed. Nobody in the gov't is doing anything about it.

Uh, I'm not sure what more the government can do to help. Interest rates are as low as they've ever been. They are bailing out the airline industry. The Steel industry is demanding a bailout - insisting on tarriffs on imported steel. IMO, the government is involved way too much already. I say keep interest rates low, cut taxes where possible and let the economy correct itself.

As much as I like K-Mart, I certainly don't think that the goverment can or should do anything about it...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
. . . the one bright spot I see in their demise is that they no longer will be giving massive amounts of $$ to the ultimate Hippo-crit Rosie O and Martha (makes me wanna puke) Stewart.:cool:
You and me both, Senior, you and me both! :cool:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I can only hope that the huge ban by sportsman last year after they decided to be anti-gun (Rosie and the pulling of ammo) has had an impact and they will rethink their position

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Nobody in the gov't is doing anything about it.
I don't know if I can fully express how much sentences like this anger me! Maybe I just don't understand how everything works. Can someone please answer me this;
Why is it the Governments(state or Local) job to keep companies alive?

I don't think it is. If any company has outlived it's usefullness, and can't survive or adapt to the changes in the ecomomy they should be left for dead. That's capitalism.

But nooooo, the whinning nancys of the world want big brother to swoop in on his golden chariot and brace up a failing company under the banner of saving jobs. Wouldn't the economy be better served by letting the weak and ineffective businesses fall by the wayside so that talent, and money is available from employees and investors for the companies that will rise from the ashes.

As far as KMart goes. . . c'est la vie.

cwy426

Jun 22, 2001
That's right. It IS NOT the gov't job to bail anyone out. It's not constitutional, either.
Look at it this way...
In order for the gov't to do the supposed good (bail out, hand out, whatever) they must first DO BAD, steal the money from the people (TAXES).
I'd rather keep mine, thank you, and bail out those that I wish to of my own free will (charity).
Carl

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You don't see the govt bailing out indivuduals from bankruptcy. There are alot of mom and pop stores that have gone under because the Costcos and the Home Depots are able to sell mass quantities. Mom and pop can't keep up, they don't have a chance. That's why I try to buy from the little guy. They bust their butts then get overshadowed by the superstores. Say Aloha to K-mart, I really only liked their little sub sandwiches anyway.
Elk

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
HAve you noticed that we have been seeing very large companies going under recently? This shieate is starting to worry me because what it means to me is that consumers are not spending and when that happens, the ripple effect kicks in. Banks do less lending. Delivery trucks don't buy as much gas. People don't vacation as much. It effects us all weather you realize it or not. I don't like K-Fart either, but like mentioned before, if they have the stuff in stock, it usually was the best deal around.

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Unit74
HAve you noticed that we have been seeing very large companies going under recently?

It is certainly unsettling when large companies have financial difficulties. But, let's remember that the performance of the economy is not what caused the problems at either Enron or K-Mart. K-Mart has been struggling for years against Wal-Mart. With Enron, nothing good is going to happen when you "cook" your books.

It's hard to balance survival of the fittest up against people losing their jobs.

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by DSsuper92
I wasn't going to say this but what the heck.

There are very few job openings out there that pay a decent salary. I can't believe that people are happy about more people losing their jobs.

Are you in any way suggesting that K-Mart offers any decent salary positions to the average employee? It's companies like these that hire a million part-time employees to avoid paying benefits. I understand that these are still jobs, but a decent salary? Come on! The K-Mart stores in my area pay minimum wage for most of the positions available, besides management. Even management positions don't pay. If they offered better pay and benefits, they might attract the attention of quality long term employees that actually care about their jobs, and even offer profit sharing. (like Wal-Mart does) The same thing happened with Sears in the early 80's.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by andymstevens
Doesn't Chrysler/Dodge depend on the blind "buy American" (whatever that means) mentality to sell vehicles?
You mean Daimler/Chrysler ?

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Thank you...Kmart has been struggling a long time. They have been out manuvered by Walmart in almost every aspect of business. The quality of merchandise is LOUSY. We tried to buy some shirts for the kids when school started last time, and I had to return almost everything when, after 2 washes, all these little holes started appearing in 5 different shirts! (All of which were "route 66" (Kmart) brand) Oh yeah and please remeber...bankruptcy does not directly mean "going out of business" although they may be headed there eventually. Around here, there were no Walmarts until about 10 years ago, now there are many. I shop there every week. Price and availability are unbeatable. I have lost faith in Kmart, and have had bad experiences 9 out of the last 10 times Ive been in there. Keep that up and guess what-you LOSE CUSTOMERS.That'll kill ya every time. People are still buying things, just not from Kmart. As for Target, thats a little rich for my working class blood...heh heh...Catch a sale and your ok. Yeah... Kmart is gonna die a slow miserable death like "AMES" department stores in Baltimore. GO into one of them and its like your in Russia.
Consumer spending?!? I still spend my WHOLE paycheck every week to survive. I WISH I was in a position to decide NOT to spend my money! Let's see...the Hendersons are gonna hold off buying a new land rover, but Im still beating my '93 mini van to death! Johnny's decided to make his '01 CR last for 2 seaons,(wow) while Im hoping to save enough $ from my tax return after catching up my bills to have my '93 KX crank rebuilt....ahhhh!!!! No doubt the economy right now scares me to death. Out of 275 plant workers where I work, about 150 have been laid off. I have seniority in my department, and dont think Ill get canned unless the whole place goes under but you never know....damn did I get off subject or what?!?!?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well i dont really know if kmart is gonna fold all they are doing is asking ofr a bankrupcy so they dont have to pay the people they owe< yeah I know let me and you try that with our mortgage company >
Ithink it stinks to no end for the simple fact of the government is going to intervene and spend millions of dollars to keep from spending millions of dollars on welfare if these people do lose their jobs just set there and think about that the irony in it big brother is going to step in and save corporation form going under in a capitilistic society not very correct for my tax dollars in my eyes but they are doing to do this to keep people working and finding out that " hey if I go on welfare my rent is autamatically paid food is automatically on the table and heath insurance is no big deal now why th ehell was I working hard busting my hump in the first place" I see nothing good from anything in this situation

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good point Ivan.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom