gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
OK, as I understand it, K&N air filters are some of the best filters available in the automotive arena. In fact, K&N claims that the dirtier the outside of their filters get, the better it filters.

Why aren't the regular old K&N filters (like the automotive type) used on dirt bikes?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I have a K&N on my SV1000S, & everytime I service it i have a light dusting on the inner part of the airbox. This doesn't bother me too much since it is a tack only bike & the engine gets torn down on a regular basis. I would hate to see the amount of dust it would leave if used off road.

Besides that, i don't really trust airfilters I can see thru ;)

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
gwcrim said:
OK, as I understand it, K&N air filters are some of the best filters available in the automotive arena.

"Best?" or more likely "most free flowing".
"Best" i would consider would be removal of the most engine damaging particulate from the air stream.

But a more "free flowing" filter will get more oxygen thru to produce more power.
Unfortunatly, with more air often comes more.......dirt.
The K&N IS a very good product. (i use one in my 'lil Bronco.) But i wont use one in a stricktly offroad aplication.
Many people do, but then many people do engine overhauls more often than me.
It's simply a matter of less power (or perhaps throttle response) and longer engine life -vs- more power / shorter engine life.

IMHO anyways.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Very interesting. I was always under the belief that the K&Ns did a better job filtering as well as flowing air. Kinda like air cleaner nirvana.

What about on a Baja off road truck? What kind of air filters do they use?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
gwcrim said:
What about on a Baja off road truck? What kind of air filters do they use?

Most SCORE, BITD, SNORE, etc truck & buggy guys DO use a K&N style air filter.....with a oiled foam sock over it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
gwcrim said:
Why aren't the regular old K&N filters (like the automotive type) used on dirt bikes?

gwcrim.

They do make dirt bike filters. Actually K&N started with motorcycle filters and they offer a large selection for motorcycles. We ran them on our dirttrackers in the 70's before anyone made foam filters.

Properly oiled and with a filter screen or foam sock they work pretty good. Keep out the big pieces anyway. ;) :cool:

Top Bottom