K&N (Fipk)/ Mass air sensor/Power programmer

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey gang, looking for someone who uses or has used the following.

K&N (FIPK) induction kit
Granitelli Mass air sensor
Hypertec Power programmer

I'd like some opinions and perspectivess.

I'm looking for actual gains, as in bang for the buck. I know that forced induction would be great, but lets be realistic. :confused:
Being in Colorado and driving at 5k around town with trips to 11K (and 4.9 percent grades) takes it's toll performance wise.

I've heard good things about the Hypertec programmer and even some positives for the Granitelli mass air sensor. The K&N seems like a no brainer, but is a little pricey and I think the claimed 14-22 more hp might be a little "inflated". Another option is the "Air Raid" system similar to the K&N (uses a K&N filter) but a full $100 less.

The vehicle is a 99 Chevy extended cab K1500
5.7 Liter (350) V-8 3.73 gears Auto
Stock tires

Used for light towing (1,500 lb pop-up camper or 3-rail bike trailer)

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Rod

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have an Airaid FIPK w/K&N filter on my Ford Truck. There was absolutely no change in performance below 3,000 rpm, and no increase in sound level under light throttle.

However, at wide open throttle there is much more intake noise, but that sounds good to me. Above 3,000 rpm there was a noticeable but not huge increase in power - my guess is 10-15 rear wheel hp. BTW, on the Ford boards, the sales distributor for Superchips reports they have tested various engine add ons and found 10-15 peak hp for the better FIPK systems. FWIW, they also look good under the hood.

It is hard for me to tell if there was an increase in fuel mileage, as my mileage varies quite a bit. IMO, if you have the money and want a modest top end power increase and racier sound, go for it. But if you want more low end power, save your money.

Before adding the FIPK, I had a K&N filter element in the stock airbox. Absolutely no change from stock in power or mileage.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I have read that both the K&N FIPK system as well as the Hypertech Power Programmer only really help at wide open throttle.. One fellow said to forget about using 87 octane, it's now strictly 92 octane, and that's WITH a cold 160 degree thermostat.

Plus, the FIPK system is an open box. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but look at your engine compartment, my guess is that you don't want your airbox/filter area to look like that! :scream:

Apparently UPD makes a better air intake than the K&N, which has a cover on it to protect it from the road spray that comes through your grill/hood. Superchips also makes a superior programmer to what Hypertech has to offer.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I tried an FIPK on my truck for a while. Sounded cool, thats about it. I didn't rely on seat-of-the-pants testing either. There's a couple steep hills on Highway 101 around here, I know exactly how fast I can pull them. Not a single m.p.h. difference with the FIPK. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Don't do it. I have the same truck. All those improvements only take place at higher rpm and wide open throttle. I admit, the sound improvement of the fipk would be nice and getting rid of the excessive intake plumbing would clean things up under there.

Your best bet is a set of long tube headers and a more efficient exhaust, muffler only as the rest is adequate. I would try to find stainless steel exhaust components as the salt will kill anything else up there in the mountains.

If you want to get in to the motor, a different camshaft would free up lower end and mid range power. This seems too serious though.

Once you are satisfied with engine output and you still lack pickup, time to regear. The stock gears, probably 3.73, are pretty high. The overdrive gear is pretty high too so you can afford to lose some top speed especially if you have added larger tires.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
3.73 gears sound too talll for what you need out there. drop to a 4.10 set, and don't forget to get the speedo recal. of course, you will loose some mileage, but the truck will come to life at all RPM's

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I put a K&N Cone filter on my stock intake tube on my '98 Toyota 3.4 V6. Made a noticeable difference, and not very much louder (when I have the air resonator box hooked up, without it, it IS much louder!) I also put a Magnaflow muffler on, between the two I can tell a noticeable difference in throttle response and power when pulling up big Utah hills with the trailer on.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Yes I'm running the 3.73's

Guess I need to weigh my options, the mileage will be better w/the 3's but the tourque will be better w/the 4.10's

Was just looking for a little bit of "best of both worlds"

Thanks.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I don't think there is anything wrong with 3.73's for light towing, especially since you're using stock size tires. Of course 4.10's would be a little better, but I don't think it would be worth it for what you said you're doing with the truck. Heck, my dad tows a 6,000lb travel trailer with a 5.4L Ford with 3.55's, does just fine.

The Superchip is reguarded by many people as the best "bang for the buck" "bolt-on" mod these days. Superchips, Inc. claim gains of 21hp and 34 ft/lbs. A good exhaust couldn't hurt either.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I use the Superchip, Gibson SI/DO and a modified K&N cone intake (F250's have a much better intake than the 150 did.) It feels much better at all RPMs.

Top Bottom