94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
We rolled in to kahoka at midnight Friday. I had been watching the weather eports and they all said it was going to rain alot. but the weather in the night was beautiful until 3am. Then it began to rain, and rain and rain some more. The quads were running a shortened course and it was definitely a mudfest. A few of us ventured out the motocross track to check it out but the promoter ran us off because he wanted to keep the track in fair shapre for the national. i couldn't blame him but the track wasn't bad. The juniors took off at 9am for a 2 mile loop which included the motocross track. My nephew pulled the holeshot over all of the 80's, 100' and 125's. he was on a 100. My boy was 5th but fell on the motocross track and picked up in last place. He still finished 4th which was great!It was a hoot watching the little kids in the mud and they were cooking for sure. The finish was questionable as everyone lost track of the laps.
the National was shortend to 10 miles. I started in row 7 and was getting roosted everytime a row took off. I went around the first turn in 3rd and came out of the 2nd turn leading. I ran in the top 4 all day and finished 2nd vet B. The first lap was a single file pass in the trees and try not to get stuck free for all. The 2nd lap had the pros bypassing the trails and running through the fields. I was chasing the pros at one point(after they lapped me on the 3rd lap) and when I left a field for the trees i pulled over so some more could go by...they didn't...hmmm. Anyway. i survived 3 laps of hell and only fell once and had a great time.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
We showed up at Kahoka on Sunday morning to find a lot more bikes then we expected. After all the rain on Saturday I guess this just shows dirt bike riders are either awfully dedicated or just plain stupid. ;)

I didn’t ride because of the mud but my stepson (Phil Converse) did. He finish 2nd in the Vet A class with four laps. Had the promoter done what he said he was going to do Phil would have finished first but it just didn’t work out that way.
At the riders meeting the promoter said he was going to run the race for two and a half hours and then cut it off. Phil came in at 2 hours and 33 minutes, which should have been the end, but then they said he still had another lap to go. :confused: Unfortunately the throttle side grip was spinning around like it was on ball bearings so he decided to quit. The guy that was in second and seven minutes behind did go ahead and finish another lap, which put him in first. Such is life.

The mud was so bad that the riders were cutting the course just about every place possible, which caused the AA class to file a bunch of protests. I don’t know who will end up being the overall winner.

Of course the fun continued when the riders tried to leave the parking area. Just think of two wheel drive vehicles pulling trailers UP wet grassy hills. Lots of free entertainment. :eek:

All in all it was a good time especially considering the amount of rain that fell on Saturday. We didn’t have any regrets about going. :)

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Hey, I was one of those free entertainers....26 foot trailer attached to 2 wheel drive pickup. I got stuck twice!
Yeah, i think that they lost track of time because they let the guy in front of me go and then said i was done at 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Oct 10, 2000
4 laps of hell for me, but it paid off with a 4strkA win. Me and one other guy in my class were the only ones to do 4 laps, it was real silly. I did my laps in 3hrs and 19mins thats an average speed of 4.3MPH!!!!! WHOOOOHOO hold on.
It did get rather crazy at the end with no one on the marked coarse just on the perimiter looking for the best ways around.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i managed 3rd little c 2 laps
it was a mud fest my group
was there since friday around 7
at the north west corner 1 camper
and a bunch of tents sat. night a tornado
missed us by about 20 miles (memphis MO)

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Who needs the woods?

After the first lap it was basically a free-for-all. As Bill Gusse noted, not a single person stayed on the arrows for the whole race. Since a lot of the trails were within spitting distance of open fields, it wasn't too hard to abandon the woods (and there was only one check out there). I only got stuck once, and the mud just sucked in my boots, to the point where it was tiring to even walk around in the slop. The top spots in most classes were dominated by non-MHSC riders...the D-17 guys are pretty good at finding ways through the mud holes.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Re: Who needs the woods?

Originally posted by KaTooMer
...the D-17 guys are pretty good at finding ways through the mud holes.

I don’t quite know if you were being serious or sarcastic with that statement but truthfully, the Illinois riders are probably more use to riding in mud then the Missouri riders. :D

You mentioned Bill Gusse; he has sent more riders into mud and muck like Kahoka than anyone in the area. Just go ride the Moose Run (or even some of his local events) on a wet day if you need proof. :(

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I don't think there was any sarcasm, the Illynoise guys are better in the mud, plain and simple...it is the rocks that give them fits! :)
I am still working on demudifying my bike!

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Clarification: absolutely no sarcasm intended. I grew up and raced in D-17 for several years and always was (and still am) amazed at how fast those guys go in the mud. Same goes for the MHSC guys in the rocks. And the guys who go fast in both...even more impressive.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
I REALLY HATE MUD BUT IN MOST CASES I DO BETTER IN MUD
DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT GET STUCK AND GIVE UP
IN ALL RACES I LOOK FOR THE BEST LINES THROUGH THE MUD
I JUST RIDE SLOWER AND THINK MORE AND TRY TO BE SMOOTHER

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I ride with some of the guys from the MTRA on occasion and about the time I'm complaining about all of the rocks, they are saying "What rocks"! :)

For the average rider it is just what they are use too. I took a MTRA guy to Michigan one time and it took him forever to figure out how to ride in the sand.

Top Bottom