KDX 175 timing issues?? Help!

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
My 81 starts 1st kick, idles great, has some low end but will not clean out up top and just sputters. Never really get that powerband "Hit". The carb is immaculate, no signs of air leaks, low hours on engine and good compression. It orignally had a sheared woodruff key which routed out the key slot so I couldnt mount another key. So, I marked the edge of the flywheel (key slot) with a red marker, lined it up with the key slot on the crank shaft, put a dab of JB weld where the woodruff key goes and slipped it on. Questions:

Do these symptoms sound like timing advance, retard, or not timing issues at all?

Can I "fine tune" the timing by moving the sliding points thingamajig (the 2 screws with the indexing lines notched above it)?

Would a timing light be of any use?

Is it likely that even though I gently tapped the flywheel tight with a rubber mallet and waited overnight for the JB to dry, when I tourqued on the flywheel nut on it moved the flywheel and crankshaft out of alignment?

Should I pull it and try to re-index it? (some risk here depending on the strength of the JB weld).

thanks for any help, Im so close to having a sweet running KDX

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
Assuming that your timing is about where it should be... and you should be able to mark it (crank end to flywheel? ). Your description sounds more like a jetting issue. How does the plug look?
:whoa:

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
I suppose I should remove the flywheel bolt and take a peek at how the alignment is (hopefully removing the bolt wont move the flywheel). If that checks out and assuming this may be a jetting issue, would it be lean or rich? Where can I get jets for this thing?

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
This is kind of funny, my 81 does the same thing. New top end (sleeved and piston) new jets, from the dealer. I tried to get new reeds, but unless I order them direct from boyseen there is none to be had in canada. When I redid the top end I had the pipe off to repaint, it i shook it and there was something rattling in it. I can't get it to fall out. Any ideas on what it might be? I don't think there should be any baffeling in the pipe, so I am curious on what it could be. And could this be my problem.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Try a timing light. Perhaps the coil has lost some oomph over the years. Any chance the magnets have lost magnetism?

Sudco may have some of the jets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom