Kdx 200 2004 Front Fork Question

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
I havnt been able to try out my new fredette .42s yet as Im waiting for carb parts,but eveything is together and I can at least stride the beast and rock it foward to get a feel for the new springs Im hearing a clicking noise in the left fork in the lower outer tube,just above the front break callipars. Sounds like the bottom of the spring tapping the inner wall. I dont hear this noise on the other fork. Im hoping not to disasemble it again :bang: Is it maybe due to the new stiffness? Any chance it will go away with breakin?. Suggestion please!

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Got Racetech 42's and they do the same on both. Tried everything suggested to no avail. I've decided to leave them because I love the performance. Keep the R's up and you'll never notice it! :cool:

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks man! Im sure I did it right. Before I put them on I compressed them many times (with a big smile and an oh yaaa) and never heard a thing. They are much stiffer. The click or tapping is suttle and happens just two inches or so into the initial compression of the fork. I havnt yet adjusted the clickers on the bottom yet.Is this critical? What affect will this have if I do or dont adjust them? Thank again for the response. :cool:

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
try holding the top cap stationary while tightening the fork tube into it.Also when you align the lowers for the wheel install loosen the pinch bolts and turn the whole fork leg that should cure the clicking problem.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks, I will try this today after work. Man,after replacing all the rear suspension linkage,bearings,and seals,plus the front fork job,this thing has me on my tippy toes when I sit on it. What a differance. I cant wait to check this out. Ive also rejetted to a 152 main and a 45 pilot. Also put on an oversized clarke tank wich got me another .6 gallons.Was even able to use my origanal shrouds,new of course! Thanks again. Ill check back! :)

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
compression adjustment is a bit of a compromise between straight line bump absorbtion and cornering.assuming you are positioned properly on the seat take a few corners typical of what you normally encounter.Should the bike want to cut inside the turn increase the compression.Should the bike want to steer wide decrease comp.Once you are comfortable with the settings take some straight line bumps adjust according to control.too soft and the front end wants to ricochet off on rebound.Too stiff and it will feel like bars get jerked out of your hands on compression.imo because of the steep fork angle on the kdx rear sag is slightly more critical than on a typical mx'er and has a bit more effect on the front end.best way i have found to set this up is by first getting the proper spring installed,then set up with about 1 inch of static sag and then adjust up or down based on preference.These are my observations that worked for me and my riding style etc.take them purely as food for thought and do as you please.This is no means meant to be the "gospel of the kdx".thank you

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I had the .38 Honda springs and never had an issue with noise, but I wasn't satisfied with the handling. I then had a Racetech guy do the revalve and he convinced me on the .42's. Wow what a difference! I hate the clicking as I said before and have tried every trick in the book to get it gone. I finally decided to just "let it go man" and ride it. A huge step for me since I am so anal about everything being perfect. Let us know how it turns out for you.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Yes,absolutely I will. I checked my sag last night per advice. It was 117 mm. Not to far from 110. My stock spring is a 5.0 but Im rated for 5.2. are these differances drastic. Ive sunk nearly a grand in this summers overhaul and must get buy with what I have for now. Should I bother to to adjust sag for 7mm. Also, what is static sag? Thanks.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
static sag is a measurement taken with out the rider.basically how much the rear of the bike drops under its own weight.for myself it was easier to tune from that point than to use the proverbial 100mm that everyone suggests.I don't think I would get too wrapped up in the .2 difference in spring especially if it came from race-tech website they lean a bit more towards the heavy side of things with that recommendation.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Do you have a spacer / washer on the bottom of the aftermarket springs, such as the one on the stock springs?

Team Green suggests 100mm sag. Set it to 100mm sag, then worry about static sag. If you are around 180 in full gear, then you need the stock 5.0. IN GENERAL!!!! add .2 on the spring rate for each 25 pounds you are over 180. Just check it on the www.mx-tech.com site.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom