specsys

Sep 12, 2006
Hi there, living in New Zealand, new to dirt bikes and just got a big problem, not of my doing. Long story short, bike held in WOT in 1st gear for approx 1mile. No compression after this. Pulled off head and barrell. Piston has picked up in three places, either side of exhaust port, right hand side of inlet. Exhaust port area damage mainly vertical scraping, visible and felt with finger nail. Inlet area approx 3mm diameter peice of electro plating gone and now located on the piston. Piston damage in same places, with aded note that aluminium piston material has burred over rings in a couple of small places.

So, WISECO don't do sleeves, anybody got any advice?

Local shop said whack in new piston and rings and see how we get on, but I don't want to loose the bottom end through shrapnel at a later date. They haven't yet seen the damage however and may change this view tomorrow.

Crazymlh

Jan 15, 2005
Wiseco do have a sleeve for you. I have one in my 91 KDX. Wiseco part no is KA5086SL I think. Did the same shop who told you just to "Whack in another piston and rings and see how we get on" tell you that wiseco don't make a sleeve for your bike?? If a chunk of plating is missing you are going to want to get it replated or get the sleeve put in. It will only be a short time until your new piston and rings are junk let alone even more plating will have now started to peel away and mess up the show.

Just go to a shop who isn't a "just throw another piston in that messed up cylinder, she'll be right mate" and get some professional advice.

You can get a sleeve from the states even on egay Click HERE for an example. I get most of my stuff from the states on egay for my KDX because it is still cheaper with the freight cost to Australia than getting it from my local rip off dealer. Shop around, you'll be right. Check out the forum dedicated to the KDX here there is plenty of good info in there.

specsys

Sep 12, 2006
Cheers. the WISECO site list but state it is unavailable, with no back order date provided which is why I suspected it is no longer available. I have a query with them now.

Yeah it seems crazy about reusing a bore in this condition with only a hone, however after hours of reading the forums it appears that it isn't a new concept.

Thanks again.

specsys

Sep 12, 2006
Spoke to 3 different mechanics at three different shops.
1 goes with clean up and new piston/rings; 1 states clean up or rebore and sleave or electroplate; 1 states rebore & sleave or electroplate. After looking at cost of sleaves, time to do, and ongoing life I decided on new cylinder, piston kit from kawasaki. Originally told off the shelf in Auckland but turns out it is actualy in Japan. Bottom end had almost indetectable up down play so just doing the cylinder and getting it back on the road.

Top Bottom