jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, I've estimated I've got over 100 hours on this topend and it's time to replace it. Probably close to 2/3 of these hours are woods riding, the other third mx. I'm a novice racer (not a "screamer", and I love the low and mid of this bike!). This will be the 2nd piston (Wiseco) I've put in the bike since new (I generally do a piston a year -- approx 75 hours) and the first time I've cleaned the powervalve. The first 50-70 hours on this last piston I was running pretty rich. I've jetted and reached zero spooge, near perfect plug chop, smokes only on first start of the day, and instantaneous throttle response. My settings: 155, 2nd from top, 45 pilot, Castor 927 with 93 octane pump gas (32:1), PC pipe and stock silencer (I've got the PC shorty, but I think the stock pipe is a tad quieter with virtually nil performance difference) and a BR7ES in sunny Florida at sea level. I probably don't clean my filter as often as I should (every 10-15 hours), especially in the conditions that I ride (very sandy). I've not done any type of modifications to the cylinder or replated and feel like I'll probably never need to (although I may purchase DFII when this set of reeds go bad (only had to replace the reeds once since I bought the bike).

The piston looks nearly perfect (compared to the pic Eric has posted on his site). Although there is a tad (1/4 inch by 1/4 inch) bit of blow by below each ring on the left side of the piston. Either my rings are showing their age or the cylinder is a bit "out of round." Other than that, no scoring of the piston or cylinder.

The flapper portion of the powervalve and the exhaust port had a bit of carbon build up that cleaned up quickly with a bit of scraping. The exhaust valves, idle gear, and main valve chamber were FULL of crud! Black, greasy, sticky, chunky, goop -- that took 3 hours to clean! I don't know if it's because I've never cleaned this before or if it's a product of the castor oil. Although, my powervalve still operated smooth as butter, no broken pieces and cleaned up nicely!

I'll attempt to include a couple of pics too, just for a visual if anyone cares to see. This is the second time I've tried to post this (this first time I hit "post" and it told me my picture was too big and deleted EVERYTHING I had typed! This time I'll save it first!).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I ran a compression test at about the 50 hour mark and showed about 230 psi, then ran another one about 15 hours back (near the 100 mark) and had 170psi. Manual says between 115-178 psi is usable.

Attachments

• cylinder21.jpg
    cylinder21.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I'm a spode, what can I say? You're probably the type that has me pulling off the track after 4 laps, in order to clean the roost from my goggles!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think he means you are lucky it isnt a pile of broken chunks of metal.Im not surprised your valves are so gunned up after 100 hours, maybe a different oil will be better but it will have some deposits after that much time.Castor 927 is probably overkill for your application, a good semi synthetic would be plenty good enough.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
That's not 100 hours, closer to 200 hours (first time I've cleaned the powervalves). I know that I've neglected to clean them and yes, shame on me for it--definitely won't happen again! It's an expensive oil, I pay $24 for two quarts at the local stealer---oops, I mean dealer. I thought about trying the MX2T that everyone seems to be raving about (cost factor), but hate to spend the time rejetting again. Especially at the expense of a little more wear and tear.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Alot is talked of oils and ratios, a basic rule is -the more wide open the engine(eg road race or kart) the more oil and higher quality you need.Your needs are no where near demanding 927.I would by a decent semi and be happy.I dont think you will see any wear issues as this only happens when the load exceeds the oils ability to lube.Also too much is made of the need to rejet at every minute change-ive in the past gone from 20:1 to 32:1 and the jetting hasnt altered enough to worry me.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If you have little blow after that many hrs, that piston looks very good also!!!!!!!! I can tell you this Jboomer the main chamber for the valve looks like it was never touched. I understand you have a lot of hrs on it,,but using 927 my chamber never looks like that. . I am running 40:1 I am a bit heavy on the throttle ;) and have no problems.Are you sure you wan't to switch oils why don't you clean everything up and stay with the 927 until next top end just to get a fair judgement. Then again Marcus is correct also when he mentions your application.I will tell you this 927 lubricates,with excellent ring seal. Hey how was your head, mine was spotless after 50 hrs like I just put it on.

Last edited:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Here's a pic of my head after I wiped it down, but before I actually cleaned it. You can see a slight carbon ring around the exhaust side of the head.

Attachments

• head21.jpg
    head21.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 98

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MX2T and be happy.
You won't need to rejet for it specifically. Changing to it will be moot jetting wise. Please don't ever pay that much for oil again, or at least don't tell us about it if you do! :)

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Enduro_Nut
I'm a firm believer in synthetic - gum up is one of the reasons, the main reason though is better lubrication.

Better lubrication than what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Mineral oils - my point is the synthetic oils are "slicker" and therefore have less friction. Pull one of my motors apart and see the difference. I hate pulling a motor apart that has alot of deposits, that is one thing that I won't put up with.

Just my .02

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Did you even look at the pictures??? Gum in the powervalves---only because I've NEVER cleaned them since the bike was new! How can you expect the topend to be in any better condition than what it was in when I opened it up? I don't get it. If it was any better, I would have tried another 100 hours! How often do you change your topends Endo!!?? I may have to start using your oil! :worship:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
To me it's not an issue that you have deposits, the issue for me is keeping it as clean as possible regardless of hours on the bike. No oils are going to burn completly.The synthetics burn much cleaner in comparison to the old "bean" oils of the 70's, granted todays oils burn much better, the industry is still producing products that are similiar in makeup.
Regarding top ends, I ride 2-4 times a month and average 50 miles a ride(all single track/no mx) and replace top ends every 2-3 years. I don't think about hours because of my type of riding. Mx is different, in the 70's/80's I replaced the topend with much more regularity(every other race?).

One thing that I want to mention, I don't think there is THAT much different between them all - I just feel synthetic will give me that little extra insurance. After 30+ years only 2 top end failures - forgot to premix and one seizco(Weisco) piston, all in the mid 70's.

Top Bottom