Kdx 200 E2 1990 Engine Rebuild

gertie6car

Apr 12, 2008
Hi, I recently bought a kdx200E2 as a rebuild project, the bike itself is in very good original condition but has been well maintained. I got it real cheap as the previous owner had damaged the case around the boss for the rear of the kick starter shaft. I was told he had come off, flooded the engine and had got to enthusiastic trying to restart it?! Anyway the current situation is the engine is out and stripped and I have l bought and stripped a second hand motor which had a lousy top end. I am now looking for advice on the following points and hope some of you will help me out!!

Are the cases matched or can I use the non damaged case from the second hand engine with the original left hand engine case?
Is it possible for an amateur (reasonably experienced with engines) to reassemble the crank into the mains without having access to the kawasaki tools referred to in the manual? I can make up a tool to pull the crank into the right hand bearing without too much trouble but the left hand crank case is pressed into place with the right hand bearing supported and using a "special" tool to support the crank (fits between the flywheels to maintain alignment.
Don't want to use an engine shop unless I have to but equally do not want to screw up the crank and new bearing etc.
Advice would be appreciated. Cheers Gert

tommrth

Apr 22, 2008
i honestly dont know but if there is a special tool to use to keep crank aligned while pressing left case on i would asume there was a very good reson for it

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The cases ARE matched and are sold as a set only. You might be abe to have the cases matched at a machine shop or similar.

You might want to try a large chisel to help keep the crank straight. Don't hit it, just use it as a helper.

gertie6car

Apr 12, 2008
Hi guys,

thanks for your comments, I have both sets of cases so will use the set off the spare engine I bought, I will just have to clean up the scuff marks before vapour blasting.

The chisel idea sounds good, I had not thought of that but it will probably work if I take it easy.

Does anyone know if separating the crank cases automatically stuffs the main bearings or am I ok to re-use?

Thanks for the comments much appreciated. Gert

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
special tools!!!!!
if you are doing the mains they need to be heated out and heted back in again, usually u heat one bearing into the crank case and one onto the crank, i did not know this at the time i did mine so i had to sit there with a hammer and a bit of wood and slowlly tap the crank through the main bearing that should have been on the crank!

i was very worried but taking my time paid off it goes fine!

so i woulden't be too worried about an allignment tool.

hope ths helps.

gertie6car

Apr 12, 2008
Hi KIWI KDX, thanks for the comments, I will have a go now. Putting the bearing in the right hand case makes sense (can chill the crank in a bag in the freezer to ease fitting) and the bearing on the left hand crank? I can then fit the crank, assemble the gbox and lower the left hand case on having heated it first so it goes over the bearing easier. Have I got it right?!! Cheers Gert

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Get a metal slug to place inside the inner bearing race to heat and expand it before crank installation. NOT TOO HOT, though!!

Freeze the bearings before installing them into the crankcase.

gertie6car

Apr 12, 2008
Hi, thanks for the info, the crank seals press in first then the bearing, how do you avoid damaging the seals when you apply heat to the inner race? Cheers

Top Bottom