KDX 200 From Stock Pipe to FMF

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
This is Copyguy's wife....

My '02 KDX 200 was in a head-on collision yesterday which trashed the stock pipe. I just started riding in April and am comfortable on the bike as it was, which is basically stock (minus half the air box lid). Is there a significant difference going from stock to FMF? I think my hubby wants to go with an FMF replacement, but I'm afraid that's going to surpass my skill level at this time. Any objective opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
You will definately feel a power increase going to the FMF. There are two FMF pipes offered for your bike. I would recommend the KG-35 because it is a little tamer than the KG-30.

Many KDX'ers replace their stock pipes so I bet you could find a cheap stock replacement in the for sale forum.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
If you like the way it ran before and not looking for more juice, I think Mac is on target..
If you jet to make it run cleaner via jetting, the stock pipe (or K35) may help keep the powerband in check for a (I'm only guesing here) less agressive style.

Tell hubby to get his own KDX! ;)

Last edited:

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
your lucky that's all you trashed in the head on collision, i was in a head on collision end of last season that snapped the right side lower fork tube, shattered the wheel hub and mangled the wheel, crushed the pipe and cracked the engine cases, not to mention the broken thumb i got and the broken right leg the guy i hit got, anyways, i don't think you would find the addition of an fmf pipe too much to handle it's all in how you use it, in your case though i would go with the torque pipe and not the rev pipe

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Thanks for all the input! I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the FMF torque pipe rather than feeling like we're throwing money away on a stock pipe only to replace it down the road.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
You might want to budget in a pipe guard too, it won't help in a colision like you had, but the fmf pipe is thinner than your stock one.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
I think everyone trashes there stock pipe........."litterly", after trying
the fmf pipe!
Gosh i hope everyone caught the pun there .....and spelling.

Trash....litter,,.....Get it?
oh forget it.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I've got a torque pipe not in use at the time. If you want to try it, I'll be at Stillwater Saturday and Sunday.

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Thanks for all the info! I just completed an e-bay purchase on a stock pipe for $33.00. That's a good enough deal that I can stick with stock for now and grow into something faster.

Thanks again!

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I've said this before, but again - to anybody who wants to play with pipes - my suggestion is to call Fredette Racing and ask about buying a used one...or two!

Jeff

P.S. to copyguy -
I think you made the right choice, given your situation. You would have been happy with the torque pipe, too. The torque pipe is "rideable"...but it is somewhat louder than stock given it's single-walled construction. It transmits a lot more engine noise & rattles.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
copyguy's wife - glad to see that you got a good deal on a stock pipe ($33).  I have two sitting in my attic and i'd sent it to you for $0 plus the cost of shipping if i would have seen this posting earlier.  I'm sure that there are several KDX'ers on this site that would have done the same so if you need something stock that ususally gets replaced with aftermarket - just ask for it - we won't mind.  :)

Top Bottom