KDX 200 Not Quite All There

vtkdx

Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys I just signed up to be on the forum, but have been reading it for the past month. I've used all the information that I could get from the threads that I've read, but now I need some help. I recently purchased a 96 KDX 200. The bike is in mint condition, and between what my buddies and I could tell, this thing has spend more time puttin' around than getting ridden. Once I got it I could tell it was bound right up. I drained the gas and put new 93 octane mixed about 48:1 with Blu-Ray oil. Took the carb off and cleaned it, even though it was spotless. Took the reeds out and found that they were like brand new. I ordered a muffler for it, but it hasn't come in yet, as of right now it's all stock. I burned out the pipe and muffler as best I could between riding it and a torch. It has both stock jets and the needle is set right in the middle. The bike all in all just isn't what it should be. When you punch it in first gear it hops right up and then just kind of hits a wall. It does this the same through all the gears. It'll hit the powerband and then just hit a wall. My dealer said something about the exhaust valve. Do you guys have any advice? And I also pulled off the KIPS cover to find a little bit of spooge, but I cleaned all that. Hope to hear back from you guys soon, thanks a bunch and glad to be on the forum.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Put the bike on a stand and pull the platic cover from the right side of the jug. Behind that cover you will see the KIPS actuating rod. If you start the bike in neutral, and rev the engine, you should see the kips rod extend outward from the jug. If all movement there seems right, the KIPS SHOULD be working.

The KDX does not have the top end of a MX bike. If you are looking for that incredible overrev, the KDX just does not have it. You can open up the top end a bit more with some aftermarket reeds and a pipe.

vtkdx

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks Julien. Yah I mean I've had KX's before and I know that it's not gonna go like that did. But it just seems to flat line on top. But today I will definitely be taking that panel off and checking to see if it works. I shouldn't have any problem with that being exposed and reving it right? I was a little intimidated by the KIPS system being so finiky. Thanks again for the help!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Just don't remove the left hand cover, the one marked KIPS. That's just the resonator cover, and you do not want to run the engine without that cover in place. The plastic cover on the right hand side just covers the linkage for the KIPS valve. You won't have any problem running with that cover removed for inspection purposes. As you rev the engine, that lever should flop out at about 6k rpm causing the valve to open. If that valve is not opening, then it would cause an extreme condition like you described in your first post. Plenty of power on the low end, but really flat up top.

J.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom