esc

Feb 10, 2004
I have an 03 KDX 200 w/ FMF Desert Pipe, Turbine Core 2 Silencer, DFIII reed cage, RB Carb Mod (air stryker), air box removed. I am going to do a topend on the bike within the next couple months (Wiseco) and was thinking about going ahead and having it ported too. I went through a lot of threads in this forum but am still wondering how the bike will feel with porting...and how significant the change is. Also is there a difference b/t the porting by Fredette and the Mo Better Everywhere by Gorr regarding the behavior of the bike? Thanks in advance.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I would have to say that porting my KDX made the most significant difference, more so than any of the other mods I (and you) have made.

I can't tell you which company to go with, but I did ride Wolf's EG225, and that engine was sweet. If I ever get another KDX, it will have an EG225 engine, for sure.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Yes - i am exrtemely happy with the EG225 that i have too. It started out as a 200 (the best way to go).

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
i reciently had my cylinder resleeved and while it was out asked about porting. I was told that it would make only a slight difference that wasn't worth the money, this from the guy who was sleeving the cyclinder, he said a full on racer might notice the slight difference. He said put the money toward exhaust system and reeds. But hey if you have the money to throw around might as well get it done, surtainly won't do any harm, and hey you might even prove the guy wrong.
Mac

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
As my KDX (which I have since sold - I switched to a real bike;)) was referenced above, I'll chime in.The EG 225 motor with mo better porting was the best improvement (aside from suspension stuff) that I could have made to that bike. If I ever bought another KDX, that would be the 2nd mod I'd do to it.

esc

Feb 10, 2004
Silly question maybe...but I'll still ask...If I go with a 225 I assume I can not race in the 200cc class right?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your swingarm will still have a '200' sticker on it...right? Doesn't that mean it's a 200? ;)

As long as you're asking for opinions...I'll give you one. I had my cylinder bored/replated due to a coating tear. Figured, 'What a great time to have it ported!' And so I did.

I asked that the bottom end not be negatively effected..and I wanted to continue to run pump gas (92 avg. octane hereabouts).

While the motor does run better...it's not a huge difference. What is different? I cannot get rid of the pinging I have now without running at least a mix of pump gas/race fuel (Trick 114). The bike rips on top with that mix...but the loss of bottom end response is plain unacceptable. It pings considerably less now than it did when I first put the cylinder on. That is due to an RB-Designs head reconfiguration. If I'm on a hot toot..maybe chasing a CRF250X for example...I hear a good number of marbles rattling around. He doesn't usually get very far ahead of me, though! A better rider would pass him, I'm sure. ;)

Another thing that is frustrating: I've been up, down and every way back and forth on jetting the ported cylinder. Haven't gotten it right yet. Probably won't. The bike used to have an S/A spout that was dry as a bone..no flick of spit ever, nowhere. Ran great! With the ported cylinder I've never gotten rid of having at least some spoo.

If I could change back to an unported cylinder with a simple push of the 'Easy' button...I'd do it. I'd keep the modified head, though.

Why a Wiseco? The 200 Pro-X doesn't have any problems. Wiseco's have had problems.

Maybe you'll get lucky.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom