kdx 200 shift shaft replacement

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
pull of clutch cover - remove the clutch, kick starter gear, the shift mechanism and the shaft will pull out from the clutch side - you might need to tap it out with a plastic mallet/punch if its bent. if you have never done this pay very close attention when taking the shift mechanism apart - its got small parts/springs in there. good luck and its probably advisable to buy a manual

Phydeaux

Jan 10, 2005
One more thing, . . . if it's bent badly you might want to cut it off close to the case (on the left side) and carefully file the burrs off before knocking it out. Of course, it's more likely that you have the mysterious disappearing splines, right?

bryanhes

Jan 9, 2005
No missing splines, kind of a freak thing! I was on a wheelie when rear tire kicked off about an 8" rock, the bike went out from under me, I think the shifter lever hit another large rock when landing and broke it clean off about 3/4 of an inch from the case :( strange huh?. Thanks for the info, I ordered another shift shaft and the two seals the dealer said it required.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
I haven't encountered any rebuild in the gears or clutch yet, but my bro-in-law has on my sister's 97KDX220. She did the same thing. I wish I remembered specifics, but he ended up ordering extra parts because he wasn't careful with something. Could I be more vague for ya? Be careful!!

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
be careful with the seal on the shifter side-it's easy to damage it and then it will leak. lube every thing up well before you assemble it. Good luck. Also check the fingers on your clutch basket when your in there. If they have notches in them,pull the basket out and file them smooth before reassembly. You will notice a huge improvement in your clutch after this.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom