KDX 200 vs. KX125

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
There's a newly opened track just down the road from me and I'm considering getting a used KX125 to use as a more "track friendly" bike. I'm 5' 6", 165 lbs, 43 years old. I'm just wondering, though, if the KX is really going to be that much better, or if I might not be perfectly happy with my KDX. I'm never going to race, I'm just going to "play race", I love the KDX and get along great with it (both FMF pipes, WER damper, worked-on suspension, etc). OTOH, I'm not getting any younger, and the idea of a lightweight, flickable, jumpable KX (while I still can) is intriguing. I don't really want a 250 stroker (been there, done that), nor do I think I want a hyper-thumper.

I've got a line on a great, already modified, 2001 (purchased new in 2003, though) KX for $2000 and am going to look at it Tues (if it's not sold by then). I won't have to sell my KDX but can have both in the stable.

Any opinions? Go for it, or just ride the KDX and get to know it even better?

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
I say go for it if you get to keep both! I have a blast on a KX 125.... and I'm 40.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I had both a KDX and a KX125 at the same time. I must tell you, from the day I bought the KX, I think I only rode my KDX twice. The KDX was sold a year after I got the KX because I realised how poor a suspension it really had. I even choose to ride the KX125 in the woods over the KDX!

Yeah, get yourself a KX125....you'll be happy.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Get a used 250 and get more power with your better suspension. As for the captains comment, if you really just play ride, the KX may be a better platform, but if you go on long trail rides keep the KDX.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
What the KDX lacks in suspension the KX cannot make up for in motor forgiveness. I simply put a $300 '03 KX frontend on mine.... Awesome suspension now!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
If you can afford to keep the KDX, get the KX too!

If you do have both, I have a feeling that the KX might get turned into the ultimate woods racer (KX144?).

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
1) I don't want a 250 2-stroke. Already said that. I had a YZ250 and it was a good bike, but too fast for what I wanted. If anything, I'm very tempted to go the other way and get a KX100 or KTM105 or something. Like I said above- light and flickable.

2) I actually don't have much "woods" out here- it's more like "desert" although not wide-open desert like Nevada. Sand washes, arroyos, canyons, stuff like that. LIke the bottom right in this ad:
http://www.fmfracing.com/images/advertisements/2stroke-dirt-ad1.jpg
That's what 80% of my off-road riding looks like. The KDX is fine there. I want the KX for the track.

3) if it's still there when I go on Tues, I think the KX125 is coming home with me.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, well....go to that online auction place and enter 4567005544. This bike followed me home today! $2000. I rode it on a little track before buying it. It was fun- the first time over a jump, I rolled the throttle off like I'd do on the KDX and it about put me on my head! Then, after I got more comfortable (LIGHT!!! The bike is LIGHT!!!), I started over- jumping and flat-landing. A corner came up way too fast and I grabbed a handful of brake and did a beautiful stoppie. My wife and the bike owner (up to that point) thought for sure I was going over, but I didn't. Gotta do a little jetting for my elevation and then I'm off to get comfortable with it.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Very nice bike! You'll have a great time on that...a 125 will make you a much better rider.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I've been thinking of getting a kx125 for my wife to ride. We ride mostly woods and will be racing hare scrambles. She rides a crf230 right now. Good bike, but not much in the 'fun factor'. So it sounds like the kx125 will be a fun bike for her and because it is shorter on seat height it should fit her well. I wonder if it will need any mods for woods riding/racing?

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Dave, a KX125 sits as high as a KX250.

In addition to the usual woods mods (bark busters, skid plate....) you might want to consider a flywheel weight too.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
CaptainObvious said:
Dave, a KX125 sits as high as a KX250.

In addition to the usual woods mods (bark busters, skid plate....) you might want to consider a flywheel weight too.

The 05 kx125 in our local shop is several inches shorter.

Could it be a small wheel version? It even has a sign on it that says it was a supercross champ. My wife was able to touch the ground, no problem. She's 5'6".

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I've had the KX for a couple of weeks now and have ridden it several times so I thought I might update this post. I notice a couple of things:

1) the KX is shorter than the KDX. I don't know if the guy I bought it from (an AX racer) lowered it, but it's noticeably shorter than the KDX. Being 5' 5", this is good for me. The biggest difference is from the "cup" of the seat on back- the KDX rises and the KX stays flat.

2) the KX is MUCH lighter. This is immediately noticeable when pushing the bikes. I can almost toss the KX on the trailer and the KDX requires some grunting and digging in to push it up the ramp.

3) surprisingly, the KX power is very controllable. It almost never wheelies on me and the KDX will easily wheelie coming out of turns. The KX will get from point A/B quicker, but it doesn't want to loft the front wheel on the way.

4) the KX suspension (modified) is excellent, but very stiff (AX settings, still). The KDX suspension (also modified) is surprisingly good in comparison. The KDX moves more in the first couple of inches, but is much more resistant to bottoming that I would have thought. Jumping the same jumps and going about the same distance, the KX is like jumping onto a trampoline and the KDX is like jumping onto a pillow. Over the whoops, I appreciate the stiff front end on the KX, but everywhere else the KDX is not bad at all.

5) Jumping- I was really suprised to find that the KDX flies just about the same distance as the KX. In fact, it may go farther for the same distance. This means, of course, that I can hit jumps faster on the KX, which is probably the idea, but it does take some getting used to. My first reaction is "Oh no!!! I'm going to WAY over-jump!!!", but no....the KX flies just about the right distance. However, after riding the KX I took the KDX out on the track and nearly looped it on the first steep jump! The bottom end is so much stronger that it fooled me. After I adjusted it was fine, but jumping definitely takes a minute to re-adapt to each bike. In the air, the KX is MUCH more sensitive to throttle chopping- it definitely likes to hit a jump under power. There's a set of doubles on this track that, as long as I have the speed, I can yank the KX over and I was scared to even try it on the KDX.

6) I noticed a big difference in handling. I used my riding buddy on his XR250 as a "pace car" around the track, with me following him and adapting my lines according to which ones he picked. I found that with the KX I can easily change lines mid-turn. If he took the inside, I could easily rail the outside and pass him. If he came in tight and went out wide, I could easily change lines and cut inside his wide line. Following him, I felt like a fighter jet following a Cessna. When I switched to the KDX, the first thing I noticed (after nearly looping the bike....see #5 above) was that the KDX "wallows" in the turns. I definitely could NOT whip my lines mid-turn. Whether this is because of the higher COG on the KDX, the softer front end, different fork angle, or just the inability to move on the seat much, I don't know, but it is the one place where the KDX was really lacking. I'm going to work on that a bit. It's funny because I never noticed it on the KDX until riding the two bikes back to back like that. Instead of feeling like a fighter jet, I felt more like another Cessna and it was definitely a bit harder to pass the XR.

Overall, I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun on the KX but the KDX is still an awfully good bike. Given only one, I'd probably keep the KDX. Makes me wonder...just a little bit...if a KX250F would combine the best traits of both bikes....hmmm.....

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
chopper dave no it's not a shorter version it's just the newer style compact ergo's kawie came out with in '03. Still same suspenion travel length I have an '04 model it has a very low center of gravity and me at 5'5 I can almost touch flat footed on it. it was a sweet bike today it's going to sit now thanks my new YZ's.

hunt7mmdeer

Jan 29, 2006
man im 5'4 and i can touch on a kx125 the seat height is only like 36.4, there the shortest of the 125's, which it doesent even matter if i touch the ground, i have no problem riding bikes that are way to tall for me, its been that way all of my life for me, ive always been very small

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
Congrats on the KX purchase. I love my KDX in the woods but have been riding my buddy's RM 250 alot and am thinking its time to get a 250 of my own. I think I'll keep the kdx though as a spare bike.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, we pulled this one out of the archives didn't we! LOL....

FWIW, I still have both bikes and am still riding both. I had the KDX suspension overhauled and now it's pretty nice. The KX is still an absolute blast to ride on the track. Maintenance has been very good on it- 1 new piston/rings when I got it, 1 set of rings after 25-30 hours (not all racing speed). That's it!!! I have a new clutch and piston/ring sitting on the shelf and I need a new rear tire. Everything else has been great. Glad I bought the 125.

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
NM_KDX200 said:
FWIW, I still have both bikes and am still riding both. I had the KDX suspension overhauled and now it's pretty nice . . . Glad I bought the 125.

I have to ask . . . Which do you think would be better for track riding, the KX125 or the KX125 chassis with the KDX200 engine? Is the snap of the KX125 better, or would the greater engine displacement of the KDX motor work better (just for sheer grin factor, not necessarily for competition)?

-Cheers

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Funny this got pulled up. I just picked up a KX125 for track duty about a week and a half ago and love it. The thing is tiny compared to the KDX. I agree with all of NM_KDX200's observations in the post above, I noticed basically all the same things switching from the KX to the KDX and back.

I have to say, I do wonder what it would be like with the KDX engine stuffed in there. There is plenty of power there for getting around, it just is a little tougher to use. It almost seems like the hybrid would be too perfect to be true. Maybe one day I'll have to find out, if I can come up with a spare KDX engine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…