kdx 220 only... polling for jetting setups

est142

Dec 30, 2003
I know reading and responding to jetting posts gets real boring...but if you have some FIRSTHAND advice...I would appreciate it.

200s and 220s are very different.I need the 220 jetting tips. looking for a way to eliminate some 0 to 1/4 throttle, 4-stroking, loading up, going bup,bup,bup as it throttles up...whatever you want to call it.
I have super performance on rapid throttling, but do not like the bupping under light acceleration.

Just looking for info to work with the stock 33mm carb.too cheap/financially embarassed to pop for the bored carb.
mine is 97 kdx 220 145/42, r1173l needle 2nd clip from top,AS 2 turns out @ sea level,br7es plug. Even if it did not work for you, I would like to here what you tried. leaner needle? or just a leaner pilot? Has anyone tried a #6 slide,or BEQ or 1174K needle to correct the sympton described above??
thanks gentlemen

est142

Dec 30, 2003
forgot, PC platinum pipe and stinger. airbox opening enlarged.

someone MUST have a smooth 220 with the 33mm carb??!!

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I have a 2001 KDX 220, bone stock except for air box mod. Pre-mix at 32:1.

R1173 needle in the 2nd clip from the top

142 Main, 40 pilot with a/s around 1.25 turns, but I have used a 38 pilot with a/s at 1/4 to 1/2 turn

Bike has very good throttle response everywhere, very little spooge. My elevation is around 300 to 400 ft. or so. Plug chop tells me it's a tad rich on the main.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
Thanks guys. My bike mods and riding location is closest to seancza. I will go down one size on both the main and pilot jets. Thanks for your responses.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Easy chief. Change one thing at a time. If not, how do you know what helped/hurt?
Anyway, here's my setup:
Elev: probably around 1000'
Main: 148
Pilot: 45
Needle: Stock in 2nd clip position
AS: it's in there. These are "guestimates", as it's been a while since I've been in there. It was a long process getting this girl right, but I learned a lot about how things work together. Not to mention that I didn't melt anything down in the process. Just a thought: lean will run like a champ till it locks up on you. My indication here was a "lean bog" - going fron idle to WOT yielded a serious bog. Culprit was way too small main. I kept going the wrong way from what I had been reading about these girls coming from the factory on the rich side. Just goes to show you that they are all different, even the same bike!

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
est142

Don't go by my setup. It would just be "ball park" for you. Our set-ups are different. I have a stock pipe and silencer at the moment, you have a PC pipe. Makes a difference.

What gas/oil ratio you use also makes a difference. You will also have to make some adjustment as the weather gets hotter.

I followed the recommended procedure on this site and it worked good for me. Get your main right first with a WOT plug chop. Then go from there. I know some will disagree on what the proper procedure is, I can just tell you that the recipe on this site worked for me and was easy to follow, but don't be in a rush. Make sure your air filter is clean and use fresh pre-mix. One step at a time is the way to go. I worked on my jetting over several weekend rides. I think I'm pretty close but I'll do it all again this spring when I put a new pipe on.

Have fun, it's a learning experience.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
don't worry...be happy.
I don't plan on making any giant jetting changes. I am going to put some fresh boyeson reeds in first. the main stock #145 is fine. I am going down just one size to balance out the new reeds and the warmer air temps...if they ever arrive. the needle is real close also. i have no bogs or hesitation anywhere in the rev band. The pilot circuit stock #42, well thats another story. It seems to be one size too big right now. I figure that with the new 2 stage reeds, and warmer temps I might need to go to a 38. I am going to buy a 38 and 40 pilot and a 142 main. I will definately try jet replacements one circuit at a time. I am not interested in evil kneviel 1000 ft wheelies or racing 250 mx bikes. I do want to be able to ride down the trail under light throttle without the bike going bup bup bup. the bike moves along fine, but that sound and slight bounce felt through the chassis is freakin irritating.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Also known as the "blubbers". Mine was pretty serious when I first got it too. A little jetting and you'll be on your way. As an added side benefit, you should notice a little more pep in her step once things are kosher (not to mention less spooge). Just be careful with the brass screws on the carb, I literally wore mine out during the jetting process. Also go easy when tightening up the jets. Removing a sheared main from the carb isn't much fun.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I have a 99' KDX220 - Pro Circuit Platinum pipe with FRP porting and head mods. I decided to keep the stock 33mm carb for max torque. I first tried jetting at 40/150, but the top end was not crisp - hesitated and gurgled before the power band. I dropped to a 40/145 and the whole range is solid with a nice power band. I previously owned an XR250, and the KDX220 has much more torque, is much more nimble and less effort to ride in the tight stuff.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I broke my 05 KDX in, then installed FMF woods pipe, Turbine core 2 silencer, FMF torque reed, and never messed with the jetting. I also drilled 6- 1" holes and installed the Uni round filters and removed the snorkel only. My bike hits smooth everywhere. Quick throttle response, no bog anywhere except before it warms up.

hope it helps,
Elfers

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Toss the lid and drop the clip. Everything else is depends on too many
variables. Jet it to where its balanced and smooth in most circumstances
and remember, good everywhere is better than great on top,crappy mid
and low. or visa versa.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
01-220
fmf torque w/sa
140 main
stock needle 2nd clip
boysen 2 stage
38 pilot
enlarged air box opening
32:1 mx2t
a/s according to temp
runs great down to 50f above 80f just a tad fat but at that temp humidity becomes more of a culprit

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
03-220
fmf rev, stock silencer
142 main (probably could drop to 140 but it's gonna get colder)
CEL needle, 3rd clip position
40 pilot
multi air box openings
32:1 Mobil 1 full synthetic
a/s 1&1/2 but adjusted often

runs great. The CEL "feels" more linear up until about midrange then you get a hit (not too much, though). Only drawback is that hit means wheelspin if you're not hookin' up, but I've got a feeling that'll change a bit with a fresher rear tire.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom