KDX 220 - Question abour removing chain master link

CalAndTheKDX

Nov 3, 2005
Cheers fellow KDX'ers!
Purchased a 2002 KDX 220 about a month ago for my birthday. I call it my cure for the mid life crises (40+ here) :laugh:.
Anyway, was trying to remove the chain to give it a good cleaning in Kerosine (it's supposed to be an EK 520 SR - EK recommends kerosine for cleaning). So..

Question 1: What is the proper way to remove the clip on the master link? I used a screwdriver which was not fun and I'm sure not the right way to do it.

Question 2: Once I removed the clip, I cannot seem to get the outter side of the link off. They usually just pop right off, but this thing does not want to budge. I tried popping it with a punch but that didin't seem to budge it :bang: . Is there a special tool I need? Maybe I should just forget removing it and try to clean it while it is still on the bike?

Thanks for any advice in advance. It shure is great having a forum devoted just to KDX! Amazing!

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
I agree with Jay Frank's method. But I find a better method is to get an egotistical mate around, stroke his ego a bit and play the "im too dumb to get the chain link off" card then let him sweat it out. Its a crap job, and I dont need the trip to hospital which would be required should I spear myself with a screwdriver whilst doin it.

CalAndTheKDX

Nov 3, 2005
Ha! Don't think I'll be able to play that card! Sounds like there's nothing I'm missing aside from some additional elbow grease. I'll give it another shot with a pair of needle nose pliers.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
It should have an O-Ring chain on it, that's why it's so hard to get apart. All you really need to do is clean it with a brush and water without removing it...then spray it with WD-40 or something to keep the surface from rusting. I have seen alot of debate on what is best to spray on them but my chain is still good after four years and I just use WD-40.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
I also use screw driver to pop off clip. However, to remove a tight outer side link plate use a good chain breaker very carefully moving back and forth from front pin to rear pin. By keeping side link plate parallel to the chain during removal the link will come off with no damage to chain. Trying to remove link plate with plyers or screw driver will likely damage master link and O-rings. I have never removed chain just to clean ever since using O-ring style chains. I clean with warm soapy water and soft brush being carefull to not damage O-rings, then de-water chain with WD-40, and then apply lube appropriate for particular riding conditions.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
You think you are having problems getting it off, wait til you try putting the clip back on :yikes:

Just yesterday I spent an hour trying to get that stupid clip back on, I was using profanity in front of the kids,bleeding and was about to start throwing tools :| So, I walked away........

I have a RK 520 O ring and my clip was badly worn, so I decided I better replace it before I lose it in the middle of my next trail ride and curse even more!

I came in the house and did a search on master links and that was pretty helpful, you might want to try that too.

One guy on a local website said he uses a chain breaker to compress the outer plate just enought to see the groove for the clip and he pops the breaker off and pops the clip on all in about 90 seconds. He is a motorcycle mechanic though and I have never used a chain breaker, so I am not familiar with how they work. I have always ground the pins down and popped the outer plate off when I adjust my chains.

Good Luck and enjoy your bike!

newkid

Apr 30, 2002
I can pull the o-ring chain off and replace it in less than five minutes with a set of linesman pliers, screw driver, channel lock pliers, and needle nose pliers. Remove the clip with the linesman pliers by pressing against the open end with one side with the other side hooked over the one of the pins. It should pop right off. Next pry off the side plate with the screw driver. Put the tip just under the side plate but don't catch the o-ring, lever off the side plate by pressing against the links before and after the master link. Pry first the front then the rear a little at a time untill it comes off.
Now the o-rings come off and the pins will push out. The chain can now be removed. To replace the master link clean all the parts and o-rings, Q-tips work great to clean the inside holes of the chain. Coat the pins and o-rings with grease, then reassemble as it came apart.Use the channel locks to squeeze the side plate back on. Squeeze it between the pins first then each side untill the grove is exposed enough to reinstall the clip. I use the needle nose pliers last to install the clip with the closed leading in the direction of chain travel.
I remove the chain from my kdx before every wash and I wash it often. I don't like to wash the chain with water I just brush it off lightly before removing it, and re-oil before installing it.You can buy a side plate press but useing one will at least double the time needed to preform this operation.
I hope this helps the next time you need to remove your chain.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I agree with new kid, do not buy the chain breaker. Use a flat nosed screw driver and pliers and be careful. The plate is what is called a press fit. this means the holes in the plate and the pins are exactly the same size with no slop. If you will take your time and slide the retainer off with the srew driver by putting the flat end of the screwdriver against the open end and pushing enough to get the closed end to stick out so you can grab it with the needle nosed pliers you can just pull it free. Then as he said; slip the screw driver under the edge of the outer plate and twist the screw driver. a bit then go to the opposite end and do the same thing then alternate back and forth until it comes off or until you can grip it with a large set of pliers and pull it off. Then when ready to install it or a new one install the link throught the hole of the chain put on the o-rings then the plate, squeese the plate with some vise grips on alternate ends untill it gets on far enough to slide the retainer into the grooves. After you get the retainer on slip the screw driver between the front and back plate and give a twist, to make sure it is not to tight against the orings.

CalAndTheKDX

Nov 3, 2005
Thanks!

Wow...I haven't checked back in a couple days on this post (working a lot of hours) and now I see it's a gold mine!
Thanks very much. I actually never proceeded doing anything else with it, I just slipped the clip back on and hoped I'd get some good advice here (which obviously I did). "Press fit" - I thought there was something different about it, never encountered one so difficult to remove. I was thinking about just leaving it on my bike while I clean it. I think I'll make that plan A, and if I'm not satisfied with te results I might move to plan B and try the techniques mentioned here to actually remove the chain. Really appeciate the help! :cool:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I ended up taking a Dremel to the chain on my XR 250 it was so hard to get apart. Of course it appeared that the chain has been on there since new in 96! On a side note, I replaced all the sprockets and chain with Primary Drive for less than $50. They worked fantastic!!! From now on, I'm just going to replace the chain every year or so.

AZendurox

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks JasonRan

I had been messing with the master link that's been on my bike for 4 years...I think I welded it on. After a couple hours of messing with it, using others advice, then behold....I saw your last post about the dremel...I literally ran to the garage, almost giddy, grabbed my dremel, grabbed the safety glasses, about 2 miutes, chain off, done! Great idea!!!! Now if I can just figure out how to get the back wheel off so I can get to work on the sprocket...hmmmm. :laugh:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
FWIW, you can get a chain breaking tool cheap at Harbor Freight here in the states. Didn't help me get the master link back on, but sure made it easy to get it out.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
AZendurox said:
I had been messing with the master link that's been on my bike for 4 years...I think I welded it on. After a couple hours of messing with it, using others advice, then behold....I saw your last post about the dremel...I literally ran to the garage, almost giddy, grabbed my dremel, grabbed the safety glasses, about 2 miutes, chain off, done! Great idea!!!! Now if I can just figure out how to get the back wheel off so I can get to work on the sprocket...hmmmm. :laugh:
What, you welded the axle nut on, too??
:coocoo:

Top Bottom