KDX 220-Stock Piston

Headset

Jan 19, 2005
On a previous thread I asked about new bike break in. One person advised that I reconsider staying with the stock piston on my 05 220 becaues I was planning on putting on an FMF pipe and boyesen reeds. I assume this topic has been discussed on a previous thread, but I am new to this group and did not see it. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what the problem is with the stock piston on a 220?

Thanks

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
The skirt on the oem 220 piston has been known to fail (crack) and basically destroy the engine. It has been known to occur on stock and modified 220's.

Do a search and you'll find lots of info. I recall even seeing pictures on this site of a failed piston a while back.

I think the rate of failure is probably pretty low, but if it happens be prepared to spend some significant cash for repair. Or you could swap out the piston for $150 or so and an afternoon of your time.

Buy a service manual too, it will help with the tear down.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I did a top end on my '03 after about 500 hours. My piston was beginning to crack, so it's not just a myth. Your bike is new so I wouldn't worry about it for a while. Just don't put it off forever. I'd ride it for a year or two anyway.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Just replaced mine in my '03 after a year of riding. No visible damage, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't anything starting. I didn't want to take the chance on my piston grenading. Just put a Wiseco in it and you'll be set. Also, the whole kit should run under $150. About $30 for teh gasket kit and less than $100 for the piston kit. You can also just buy the base gasket, as I didn't have to remove my head to swap out the piston, just be careful with the KIPS cover gasket.

wildtrax1

Jan 27, 2005
Does anybody know if Kawasaki has addressed the piston issue in the 2005 model? Has the KDX 200 had the same issue with the piston cracking? I'm looking at buying either a 200 or 220 but the piston issue has me leaning towards the 200 although I think the 220 would be a better bike for me since it is supposed to have a little more low end torque

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I don't think Kawi has actually admitted that there is a problem, so I doubt that they have "fixed" it. The 220 does have more low-end grunt, and can be made to rock up top like the 200 with the right mods.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have an odd feeling that Kawasaki's " fixed " is jetting the bikes fat from the factory so they don't rev as high.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
No Kawasaki hasn't improved the 220's piston.

The 200's piston is as tough as nails and doesn't suffer from the same problems as the 220's.

I'd look to the 200 then put the money you saved over the 200 towards an o-ring chain and pipe. There are additional savings to be had when you consider that you wont need to bore the 200's carb. If you find you need more bottom end look to someone like Eric Gorr to modify the head and if you really want to go to town bore the cylinder to 225cc.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…