duke

Oct 9, 1999
The writer makes an astute, though often overlooked, observation that the end is nearing for the continued production of simple, easy to ride and maintian bikes that feature good performance. Many "newbees" will enter the sport with but two options, bikes like the CR230F and like, and then a big jump to the more refined, albeit more maintenance intensive bikes like the CR250X. I know that there are lots of folks who dont mind the extra maintenance requirements for the level of performance gained. But their numbers are dwarfed by those who need and or prefer a bike that can grow with them, yet still afford a less intensive level of monitoring, checking and tweaking. The 175's and 200's over the decades have fulfilled this need. There a lot people who havent a clue as to the potential of the KDX series, dismissing it as a an outdated and useless antique. But a quick look at the guy in the video clip shows a pace being sustianed that a lot of riders couldnt attain on a faster, yet more costly machine. If 2 strokes are going to be phased out, then I would propose what many XR enthusiats have been promoting; a refined version of the XR250/400. Brisk, yet simple in design and upkeep.

apb

Feb 1, 2005
Duke, your comments are right on -- but for some reason, I don't get the feeling that creating models to fill that gap is a high priority for the manufacturers.. I guess we'll see how it works out in the next few years. When I get a new bike at some point, and if the kdx200 is no more, I'd probably be looking at one of the high performance 250 4-strokes. But I'm not sure that'd work out very well since they need the top end redone every 50 hours, and its alot more intimidating for me to take one of those motors apart instead of a 2 stroke.. Makes the sport too expensive if I have to hire a mechanic to do all the work for me.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
So long as they are making parts for them, the existing KDXs that are out there or will be sold in the next year or so will continue to be great trailbikes for the next 10 - 15 yrs at least. I still ride a '91 KDX250 once in a while that is 15 yrs old and it still gets the job done in the toughest of terrain. Granted, its a bit heavier and doesn't handle as well as the 220 even, but it is still a blast for a day of trail riding.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
In light of the fact that the KDX series remains constant for several years at a time, parts availability isn't a concern. I have run into a few guys who still ride and compete aboard both early 90's era Husky's and ATK's, and there are a sufficient enough warehousing of those parts to allow for normal maintenance and upkeep. The only thing I don't like about the new breed of 250 thumpers is the maintenance requirements. If I were competing for a local MX series, then they would be a valid choice, although I am a traditionalist in that I might resort to a 250 2T or big bore 125. But not to digress, the KDX offers the perfect compromise for a bulk of the buying public. And again, I make note that there can and should be a compromise offered with the more politically correct 4T. Who wouldn't want an XR250/400 mounted in a frame that features all the refinements of an X model? Hell, release the 250 motor as a 280. It seems that offers the most cost efficient means of motor improvement. The sentiments reflected on the internet about matters such as these, besides being inconsistent with what is being promoted by the monthly magazines, serve as a more accurate accounting of what the public needs and desires. This is why I am always advising my fellow enthusiasts about educating themselves by passing the magazine rack and logging on instead.

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
:pissed: Couldn't agree more. Something between an XR250 and a 400 in a lighter version with a real suspension would definitely interest me. The KLX 300 is the closest thing to this right now. Until then, I'll keep my KDX 220.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Duke, these are all great points and I agree. The one thing that I'd like to point out is that there are choices available, other than the HondaCRF250x. You are spot on with your concerns about maintenance on that bike, but I would not use the CRF as the measuring stick for all small bore 4 strokes. Generaly the maintenance "issues" that you refer to are blown out of proportion. Yes, 4 strokes require basic MX, as does your KDX. I think whats more of issue here is that the MX is different! Not too many of us (me included) have a lot of experience with valve adjustments, etc., but we've all spent some time replacing pistons and rings. Many small bore 4ts will make beautiful trail/play bikes (WR 250, KTM 250RFS, GasGas?, etc.)
As for the Honda CRF250....well, in my opinion that is one of the most disappointing motorcycles ever. A disposable head? What were they thinking?
I have always enjoyed my KDX, and I do think that it has a place in this market, just like the XRs.

Top Bottom