KDX 250 Remove air box lid Questions

foxa4

Jan 28, 2002
I want to do some mods on my KDX 250 and have read allot about removing the air box lid for les restriction.

Do you need to buy a special air filter?
How do you jet the carbs for this?
Would I have to put a different pipe on?

I know there have bean allot of discussion in the past about this but I am not able to find much in the search option. Thanks for any reply

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I would definately recomend tossing the air box lid. Rejetting on this bike is necessary. The stock jetting(if you're still running it) is way too rich. I run a 160/162 main and a 48 pilot.

foxa4

Jan 28, 2002
Yea I will do that! I have decided to keep the stock pipe and just remove the air box lid and rejet. What spark plug do you use?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In addition to leaner jetting, you should be able to use a BR7ES in a trail ridden KDX250. Me and my friend used that plug in our KDX250's for several years.

I can't remember the exact jetting we used (at around 4,000 feet for most trails), but I think it was the leanest optional pilot (the lowest #) and leanest needle (the highest number) shown in the owner's manual and at www.buykawasaki.com The bike also benefits from a leaner slide with 1mm more cutaway. This is a little pricey - some people grind 1mm from the bottom of the stock slide.

You can use a high compression head gasket from an '88 KX250 - some other year KX250's (I think up to '90 or '91) can also be used, but some years KX have more than one thickness available. Get the THIN one and use premium pump fuel.

The bike is VERY rich stock - it will run much better after jetting. After you get the motor dialed in, the bike runs well, with excellent bottom end power and a very heavy flywheel. No need for a flywheel weight, that's for sure.

The stock pipe is very heavy. After rejetting, the stock pipe has a fairly abrupt low-mid hit. The aftermarket FMF pipe will smooth or eliminate the hit and give more power and revs on top.

I enjoyed my 250 very much - it was not well dialed in from the factory (especially the jetting and forks) but with a little tuning it is a good bike!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
On the 91-94 KDX250s, you may not want to toss the lid off. The regulator and recitifier sit on the airbox lid. You would relocate the, but it is easier to remove the HUGE baffle from the top of the lid. That will open up the breathing a lot.

With, Vforce 2 reeds, porting and Dynoport pipe this is my jetting at lik 500 feet:

Pilot: 38
Main: 160
Needle: stock, 3rd clip from the top.
Slide: #5 slide (stock is #6)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…