KDX engine parts interchangeability?

ReubenL

Nov 27, 2005
just wondering if anyone knows for sure the differences between the '89-94 200cc generation and the 95-up 200cc generation... and the differences between the 200cc and the 220cc. I know the carb is 33mm on the kdx220, 35mm on the kdx200... and the cylinder is (somehow) different-

my immediate question is whether the bottom ends are swap-able? can I take a '96 220cc top end, and use it on an '89-94 bottom end?
I've discovered that the right-side engine cover (not the small clutch-cover, but the larger casting) gasket is the same- but I also know the water-pumps are profoundly different. I'm not afraid of a little machine work, if it's a minor difference here and there...
anyone know for sure if the tops/bottoms can be interchanged?

sub-question: can the engines be changed from chassis to chassis?
meaning, are all the motor-mount locations, and intake location, exhaust port location, etc. the same?

thanks!

~Reuben

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Hey mate,
Im not too sure exactly if they will fit or not but your best bet for now is to look at the base gaskets for each cylinder and see if its the same part number or different. That way you know the cylinder will at least bolt on. Your biggest prob will be the KIPS actuator, Im not sure but I think they will be different. Anything else such as the exhaust can be gently persuaded in place (hammer). You will be able to search this forum and find links to online parts retailers that provide details and measurements of the various parts you willl need to check out.

The 220 has a 69mm bore instead of a 66, and is rumoured to have different porting but thats it besides the smaller carb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom