KDX Fading Out & A Wolf Sighting

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
During this past weekend the Volunteer Riders held their August club ride at a private location, to which we had over 50+ riders in attendance. All ages, all levels of abilities, etc. What I found interesting was that of the 50+ bikes in the pits, there was only a small number of KDX's in the crowd. What I found even more interesting was that most of the KDX's in attendance had been decently modified. My conclusion being that the KDX is losing favor, mainly to the 4 stroke, and the ones that are still around appear to be well modified for the intermediate rider. In times past you would generally see a ton of KDX's with beginner riders and a few serious riders with heavily modifed KDX's. Now you see beginners leaning towards mini thumpers versus the KDX and most of the advanced riders are stepping away from the KDX and directly towards the KTM. Most of the hopped-up KDX's I see are now for sale as a direct result of taking another bike for a test spin. Just some observations and my .02 on the flight of the KDX...

Now, being a rookie woods rider and an old school MX rider, let me just state that my KDX was hooking up great on the trails and the grass track during our ride. Tons of fun, a perfect bike for me to enjoy both woods and MX riding. I even had some of the advanced riders take her for a spin only to comment on how great it ran or how the suspension was working great.. Yes, my KDX works great for me now, unfortunately I spent 6k to get it to this point (bike plus hop-ups) :bang:

Hey, also worth noting, I met fellow DRNer/KDXer Wolf at the club ride. You see, Wolf is one smart Northerner, and knows where to go for a good ride. It was great meeting you and your father-in-law Wolf! Also worth mentioning, was the fact that Wolf has one saaweeeet KDX 225. I did not get to mount it (Wolf did offer), but the advanced riders told me that Wolf and his KDX did great in the TN hills!!

Wolf, I won't bring up the part where you mentioned that the best trails you had ever ridden where in East TN and that the Vol Riders were the most skilled, best looking, friendly, and articulate group of riders you had ever been around... ;) You-inz find them akerns yet Wolf?

I also met former KDXer KnoxKDX, who now owns one of the sweetest CR250R's you would ever want to point down a trail... Knox's brother (a Memphis boy), on the other hand, was sporting a fine 220! Only one trader in that family, but I can't blame him a bit! :worship:

In closing, I love the fact that I can still wrench my KDX, revalve the suspension and do a top end without an engineering degree :cool: Long live the KDX (or at least until I can sell it). :clue:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Hi
Yeah KDX's are getting rare. I guess they're getting outdated. Over here in Nor Cal, at least in my area, you see one about as often as you see Bigfoot & then people call them girls bike, wife bike, etc. Everyone's gotta have a cr250 or a new 4st. I don't care, though I like my bike I know it & it knows me. I can hang with anyone on the trails with ease no matter what they're ridin'. Mine has all da mods & I'm keeping it. :nener: People just hate it when I pass them in nasties. (No wonder they call it girls bike, it makes them look bad lol)

Ride On,
Taz

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
It's not just KDX's that are fading, it's smokers in general, but let's not go there. The guys who call them "girls bikes" are the same guys who ride the biggest bike they can find, drive a bigger truck than they need and drive a four penny nail with a 22 ounce framing hammer. I believe "penis envy" is the proper psychological term. A good rider on a KDX (or an XR200 for that matter) can pass a squid on a CR500. :rotfl:

yarrowkevin

Mar 12, 2004
re fading out

up here in canada you cant get the kdx 200 new anymore, I was out the other weekend and to my amazement there were 4 other kdx,s, went out last week and saw nothing but 4 stroke blue, at least 8 of them, its funny though, I was scorned 4 years ago when I had my new XR, times are changing , but theres still time grab your green machine and ride them till the wheels fall off!! :aj: :aj: :aj:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I ride an XR200R, but I test rode a 94 KDX200, and I dunno why anyone would call them a girl's bike, because I know atleast for me I could win races on it. They seem like great woods bikes, and while they aren't as fancy looking as the new four-strokes or a KTM, they are pretty cheap and have a lot of hop-up potential. Mind you, I also ride (and race) a bone stock (except for renthal handlebars and some barkbusters) XR200R against guys on 125s, 200s, 250s, 450s, etc, and beat them. Long live the small bore woods bike!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Bouquet bikes will come and go, But I feel there will alway's be a place for the KDX in any form! There fine bikes!

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
It was indeed a great ride! Please pass on my thanks to the rest of your club. Really enjoyed meeting all of you.

RTL said:
Wolf, I won't bring up the part where you mentioned that the best trails you had ever ridden where in East TN and that the Vol Riders were the most skilled, best looking, friendly, and articulate group of riders you had ever been around... ;) You-inz find them akerns yet Wolf?
QUOTE]

Now, about all of that.....my gawd, how do you guys communicate to the rest of the world?
You see, these guys were all talking to me for about 10 minutes, thinking I speak their language. I would have gotten away with it too, if I had only realized that there were questions hidden in there, and my blank stare was just not good enough as an answer.... :nener:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Wolf said:
You see, these guys were all talking to me for about 10 minutes, thinking I speak their language. I would have gotten away with it too, if I had only realized that there were questions hidden in there, and my blank stare was just not good enough as an answer.... :nener:

You are correct about not understanding them Wolf. Next time try a blank stare with a slack-jaw. :rotfl:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
rv6junkie said:
You are correct about not understanding them Wolf. Next time try a blank stare with a slack-jaw. :rotfl:

rv, the only problem with that theory is that we have club members who are transplants from the north, sorta like interpretors/spies. I'm from Northern VA, so I have been given the responsiblity of sniffing out all slack-jaw and gaall-eee immitations. :)

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I saw a brand new bone stock KDX running the Rauch Creek GNCC. Did he win? Hell no but I bet he had the time of his life and that's all that matters. He came around every lap too unlike some of the hotshots out there who think their so fast.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I’m not giving up on mine until it is no longer feasible to keep it running. My 88 is the second C Model that I have owned. Having owned a C Model since 1987 there isn’t a lot that I haven’t had to repair or replace. I can work on it myself and get great satisfaction in doing so. I ride with bikes ranging from TTR 125L’s to KX 500’s to YZ 250’s. Yes sometimes I get blown away on long stretches but you should see the looks I get when I smoke um through the hills and through the tight stuff. Enough rambling, time to ride. Hope they never phase out the vibrating, smoking, noisy KDX!

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
KDX at GNCC

Hey peegreen! I rode my box stock 2004 KDX 220 at the Rauch Creek GNCC this year. Your right, I did'nt win. But I did have a great time, and I finished. It was my first race in 25 years. The KDX can get it done. I've ridden in a enduro, and a hare scramble also. The only time I've had trouble, is when I did'nt trust the bike. Mostly No-speed get offs. Couple of times I clipped a tree.The only mods made to the bike since were tall seat, higher bar clamps, and a flywheel weight. I would like to tinker with the forks, and someday I'll get around to it.Thats half the fun, trying different things to make your bike better. Lets face it even a brand new CRF250X will be obsolete in a year or two. Unless your spending most of your time in the garage,or your bike is totally unreliabe why change bikes. Long live the KDX.

Top Bottom